PTO officer takes a Titanic stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beckey Payne

Well, my fellow PTO moms think I'm insane (NO comment!!!) but I could keep quiet no longer. Every year following our fall fundraiser we have the "Main Event", sort of a carnival thing to reward the students for a job well done. And every year this monstrosity of a blowup slide shows up at the event... The Titanic Adventure Slide! Have any of you SEEN this thing? It's a huge blowup of what appears to be Titanic's big rear poking up out of the water as she sinks. Kids climb up the middle on a rope ladder and then slide down the "deck".

Finally, this year as a PTO officer I felt I was in a position to take a stand. I officially requested that the slide NOT be included, and should it be included I will not be volunteering to work the event. It gives me the creeps just to look at it. Over 1500 people DIED and now it's a kiddie ride? What's wrong with this picture? Would they dream of having a Sept.11th Ground Zero Obstacle course? NO, I think not!

Beckey (who apologizes that this is probably a bit off key for the msg board, but really....)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Beckey,

I also agree, that slide is tacky. I saw it in the local newspaper here in Toronto a few years ago, and it made me sick!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I believe the affair in Australia was much more elaborate. It was owned by Fox-Warner (I think, not being a film fan). It was some kind of role playing adventure based on the movie and was evidently rather hair-raising. Cameron's fans would know more and it may still be on the Internet.

As to the slide, it's a matter of taste, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow.

B

Beckey Payne

My request that the slide not be included in this years carnival was well recieved by my fellow officers, and has been forwarded to the group that sets up the event for us. With a reminder to follow before the date. Wish me luck!

Dec 13, 1999
There is one here in Merseyside too. Objections were met with "well, there's no one still alive to remember it is there!!"
Just wish I could borrow one of Randy's Duff Gordon hat pins!!

Geoff

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Objections were met with "well, there's no one still alive to remember it is there!!"<<

<snort> I'm sure that Millvina Dean, Barbera West and Lillian Asplund would find that one amusing. I wonder who in the Merseyside bunch would be stupid enough have the nerve to tell them they're no longer alive?

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Geoff said: "Objections were met with "well, there's no one still alive to remember it is there!!"
How little they know!
angry.gif
I bet their way of thinking would change pretty fast, if they realized there are still survivors alive.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.