Public space available to all classes

D

Dennis Foley

I've often wondered if there were any public spaces available to all classes of passengers on Titanic. For example, were the Parisien Cafe, squash court, swimming pool, A la carte restaurant, etc., available to all 3 classes or only to First Class passengers? Thanks. Dennis

Apr 26, 2005
The rooms you have mentioned above were exclusive to the First Class passengers. There was no rooms on the Titanic in which both classes could have mingled. The White Star Line company was very strict on this.

But there is an exception. The religious office, presided by Captain Smith in the First Class dining saloon on Sunday April 14th at 11:30, was welcoming every classes. To the best of my knowledge, it was the only time where Third, Second and First classes mingled together.

You can certainly imagine how the Third cabin passengers were impressed by the beauty of the Jacobean room. It must have been something.

Regards,

Charles Provost

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
::But there is an exception. The religious office, presided by Captain Smith in the First Class dining saloon on Sunday April 14th at 11:30, was welcoming every classes.::

Though one author in particular (Marcus I think) suggests this, I don't believe it is correct. 1st and 2nd class had their own separate Sunday services in their respective saloon areas. Smith, as noted, lead the 1st class services and purser Reginald Barker lead 2nd class. 3rd class had somewhat makeshift services, as I don't believe there were any initially scheduled for them.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Chris,

From what I remember in Beesley's "Loss of the SS Titanic", he recounted that Reverend Carter, who I believe was at their table (Purser Barker's and Beesley's) asked Lawrence to ask Purser Barker if they could hold a Sunday night service, which Barker indeed set up. Douglas Norman played piano for the service and Marion Wright sang solos.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Cook

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
FWIW,
Before the Titanic set sail, second class was allowed to tour some first class spaces, including the Grand Staircase and gymnasium. Lawrence Beesley took advantage of this opportunity, and was photographed using the bicycles with an unidentified lady in the gym.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Right. According to his book, this lady was one of his friends from Exeter. I know of, at least, one instance where someone identified this woman as Maggie Brown, which wouldn't have been possible.

Best regards,
Cook

Apr 16, 2001
Dan,

You are quite correct. Second class passengers were granted access to many first-class areas. Like Lawrence Beesley, Marshall Drew remembered visiting the gymnasium with his uncle while the Titanic was in Southampton. He remembered several passengers using the exercise equipment.

Michael Findlay

Apr 26, 2005
Chris: Charles A. Haas and John P. Eaton also certified that the religious office was for every classes. Even the White Star Line rules sheet tells so.

There certainly was other offices in Second and Third classes, but they were not the 'official' ones. Hope this helps.