Punishment for entering the officers' quarters/bridge area?

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Here it is being used by the Chief Officer. Fom thar raised platform, he could both see the quay-side during docking and undocking and at the same time, supervise the actions of the forward crew
rms-titanic-southampton.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
B

Bob_Read

The forward section of the center anchor well gratings was separate from and elevated above the gratings on the port and starboard sides.
76E52290-622B-4001-B012-20AF4A4DF676.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
The forward section of the center anchor well gratings was separate from and elevated above the gratings on the port and starboard sides.
View attachment 49511
In your post, in reference to the bottom photo.:
In the the lower left hand corner there is what appears to be some sort of a small metal cube shaped box mounted on top of a slender brass tube. There appears to be what looks like a wire running to a hole in the wooden deck.
What was that ?

B

Bob_Read

In your post, in reference to the bottom photo.:
In the the lower left hand corner there is what appears to be some sort of a small metal cube shaped box mounted on top of a slender brass tube. There appears to be what looks like a wire running to a hole in the wooden deck.
What was that ?
Portable telephone. The model used on Titanic has some variations but this is an older drawing. I believe he has corrected it since.

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Thank you for all of your photos, the view from those have helped to explain a lot.

I thought the platform must have had some use other than to stand on the bow and take in the scenery.
It does look very close to the anchor and chains so I hope everyone was safe whilst working in that area on ships.

Last edited:

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
Thank you for all of your photos, the view from those have helped to explain a lot.

I thought the platform must have had some use other than to stand on the bow and take in the scenery.
It does look very close to the anchor and chains so I hope everyone was safe whilst working in that area on ships.
Back in 1912, health and safety was last on their minds. Today, we are the opposite, we are bubble wrap.

May 3, 2005
The phones were portable but they weren’t wireless. They had to be plugged into a receptacle on the deck.
Thanks Bob -
The photographs with the apparatus open gives a much better idea of how they looked.
Were these receptacles for plugging in located in the decks all over the ship ?
This is the first I had seen or heard of these.
Another case of you never stop learning new things on the ET website !

B

Bob_Read

I only am aware of two portable phones. There were two locations they could be mounted and plugged in on the forecastle: just aft of the anchor crane and just forward of #1 hatch. The other location was on the docking bridge.

May 3, 2005
The phones were portable but they weren’t wireless. They had to be plugged into a receptacle on the deck.
I assume they were also not "sound powered" but had batteries or some sort of power supply for their operation ?
Something like a telephone network in a town or city ?
Were these used for contacts with the bridge or for somewhere else ?
I think the "sound powered" phones were not developed until WWII, at least in the U.S. Navy ?

Last edited: