QE 2 The View From OnBoard Her Final Year

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Per John Clifford's suggestion, this thread is being started for those who take voyages on the QE2, and their impressions during her final year of passenger service.

Whatever your experiences, impressions, insights and photos, post it here!

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone know why the QE2 has been in Southampton for almost 3 days now? Did they cancel a cruise? I've been looking at the bridge cam and it hasn't moved since the 21st.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Why a refit at this point? Isn't that like rearranging deck chairs on the.... (I'm sure you all know that saying).

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I read it in cruisecritic.com that the QE2 is to have a refit during the layover time in Southampton.I think that it is only minor things that will done to the QE2 since she is leaving service next November.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Why a refit at this point?<<

Because as long as a ship remains in service, she needs repairs, maintainance, upgrades and the like to keep on going. This isn't really a major refit. Just a brief availability to keep her shipshape.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
They may well be doing nothing more then refurbishment and repainting. The days when you could just spray it on without some means of containment are long gone. When my last ship went in for a 10 month drydocking/refit, they had the entire drydock covered over when the hull was stripped down and repainted.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
The QE2 will be sailing for the next 7 months, so I can imagine that Cunard will not want passengers to complaining "Boy, did they let the ship 'go to pot'". Especially when Queen Elizabeth II is set to deliver her formal farewell in the next few weeks.

BTW, who is scheduled to be on which voyage??

I will be on the Mediterranean Sea Cruise, departing, from Southampton, on Tuesday, August 12th, and returning on Friday, August 22nd.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Evening Standard:

The Queen bids a fond farewell to QE2 - the liner she christened in 1967
quote:

The Queen yesterday spent the 55th anniversary of her Coronation making a farewell visit to the ship which has sailed so proudly through most of her reign.

Touring the 70,000 tonne QE2 docked at Southampton, the Queen was making her last tour of the ship she launched on the Clyde in Scotland in September 1969.

Her tour included a huge slice of Britain's maritime history, as she met nine former captains of the vessel as well as some of the crew who sailed with the ship when it was requisitioned by the Navy as a troop ship in the Falklands war.
Full story with photos at
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
For me, it is now less than a week before I fly to England; will spend the weekend in London, then head down to Southampton on the 11th, and will be able to board the QE2 around 2:15 PM, local time, on the 12th.

Quick question: who on ET is set to sail on one of the other upcoming voyages? I mean "cleared the wait list".

Three of my friends, who were with me on the Queen Mary 2's eastbound crossing, in September 2007, were recently cleared of the wait list for the October 16th "Farewell to America" Trans-Atlantic Crossing.