QE 2 The View From OnBoard Her Final Year

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
FIRST MORNING AT SEA. In the respite between being unable to find Tim in the theatre and running into Kyle and being inexorably drawn into the daily trivia matches, I sat on a bench facing the plaque for lifeboat station 19 and composed postcards. I noted that when the people sitting outboard of me cleared out, they left an almost cliche still life that I HAD to photograph.

View Image

May 27, 2007
quote:

I noted that when the people sitting outboard of me cleared out, they left an almost cliche still life that I HAD to photograph.
I'll say somebody call in Norman Rockwell. That's who that scene reminds me of.

Jul 9, 2004
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like some faded color photographs. I like how a lot of the colors fade down to sepia-based and in some cases, faded color makes some snapshots look a lot more interesting. But I'm weird.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
ROUGH SEAS...on the day that the QE2 rolled as much as she ever would on this crossing, I leaned out over the rail and while shooting forward inadvertantly captured ET's own Kyle videoing the QM2 from under lifeboat #12.

If you tilt the photo so that the horizon is oriented properly, you can get a feel for the motion of the ship at that moment.

View Image

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A moody view late one afternoon. There was a brilliant sunset approaching, but I went over to the vacant 'dark' side of the deck....

View Image

...Jason, the railing directly to the left, with the tiny bit of observation deck behind it, is where Kyle and I were standing as I called you during sailaway in NYC.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Lest one get TOO envious...

...may I present the menu for the truly vile final meal ever served on a QE2 transatlantic crossing.

...prunes....
...spaghetti with bacon...

a combination almost guaranteed to induce restless sleep.

The bottom third of the menu? Our waiter, Sunshine, streamlined our meal by removing any references to cheese, crackers, bread, 'exotic teas' or anyhing that might have caused us to spend an extra second at the table.

View Image

May 27, 2007
Excuse me Jim for a second,
Hey Brandon
quote:

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like some faded color photographs.
I don't my sister looks like a faded ghost in her wedding picture from 1985. Of course that's what you get using a Polaroid but still.
sad.gif
I also like Sepia photo's though.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like some faded color photographs.

Ehhhh....

I don't think I'll ever warm up to 'warming.' To me it just represents...well...a substantial amount of history being lost.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
CUNARD....

...we walked back to Marble Arch, from Blackfriars, along a rather meandering path. Checked out the Lyceum, scene of many fond 1980s memories, and passed through Trafalgar Square, where I photographed the former Cunard Building...now the Trafalgar Hilton.

View Image

Mike and I stayed here prior to the QM2 maiden voyage. I am a BIG fan of postmodernism... would not mind seeing all period revival interiors gutted and replaced, but truth be told, this particular interior was a bit much..even for me. It DID have the most comfortable chair ever created, in the bedroom, and a remarkably relaxing bath....but, it was just a step or two over the line into 'tries too hard' and, unlike the Cumberland, I never really relaxed there....

...and, if you were wondering, not a square inch of interior from before 2000 seems to have survived.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Actually, I didn't think that menu looked too bad..... or am I showing poor taste?

I think it's funny that Cunard chose to specifically state:

"Chicken Curry Prepared by our Indian Chefs"

As if that is somehow special or unique. It's like saying:

"Deep Dish Pizza Prepared by our Onboard Chicagoans"

yawn.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Now, I COULD have been true to form and taken Tim on an after-dark tour of the "Black-out Ripper" crime scenes (WW2 era serial killer) but I was feeling atypically mellow and instead we took a more mainstream path home via Regent Street and Bond Street.

View Image

Earlier in the day, with Phil, we had passed an infamous bit of London Pop Culture, which I returned to photograph the following morning. The Beatles "Apple Boutique" at Baker and Paddington.

The shop was the ultimate expression of 1966 Carnaby Street. Unfortunately, it opened just before the dawn of the bad-vibe year of 1968, and in rather more staid environs than most of the other youth-oriented psychedelia marts.

The mural, executed by a team of Dutch artists, was gone in the blink of an eye..."defacing the brickwork" etc. The entire facade was whitewashed, after the threat of legal action made the mural not worth retaining.

The store proved to be a cash drain, and in July 1968, it drew a final wave of publicity as early morning shoppers were told to take whatever they wanted free of charge. Predictably, the shop was soon stripped down to nothing. But, it offered one final cash drain... turned out that the material given away was to be taxed as if it had been sold.

View Image
View Image

The brickwork, zealously guarded in December 1967, has subsequently disappeared as the Baker Street facade has now wrapped arounf the corner onto Paddington. Worse, the 1930s exterior of the theatre next door has been removed and replaced with a simulation of the former Apple Boutique facade.

A lot of demolition and new construction seems to be taking place in this area, around Baker and Oxford Streets. the effect is not entirely pleasant...

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Actually, I didn't think that menu looked too bad..... or am I showing poor taste?

Not poor taste.

BUT, the menu was unbelievably pedestrian for the final night on a transatlantic, ever.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
There are worse things you can do with spagetti then to turn it into a carbonara. Try shrimp which has been cooked, then frozen, then microwaved for his lunch the next day. We had a guy at work who did that and he managed to clear out the employee's break/lunch room.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>There are worse things you can do with spaghetti then to turn it into a carbonara.

I respectfully beg to differ, Mr. Standart. Only the word "Alfredo" horrifies me more when I see it applied to a pasta dish.

Carbonara...Alfredo...Cordon Bleu... are redolent of the heavy (can flavor be described as 'overly ornate?') cuisine of the 1970s. Seeing them on a menu has a depressing effect on me...I expect a sudden chorus of Beefsteak Charlie's old "You're Gonna Be Spoiled" jingle and a poitrine-flaunting waitress who asks 'Beer, wine, or Sangria?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3FtFmEKGKQ

Come to think of it...this vintage advert reflects the gustatory experience fairly well. Not bad, but strictly run of the mill stodge-fare.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
"I will have the grilled cheese, and madame will have the hot dog deluxe"

"Would madame care for a drink?"

"Madame will have the Ripple, and I will have a double Thunderbird, in either case served in a Harrod's paper bag."

"Very good, sir."

Last lunch served on a QE2 transatlantic.

Hot Dogs...
Pizza....
Grilled cheese.....

For all that, THIS menu had a few choices worth pondering on it.

View Image