QE 2 The View From OnBoard Her Final Year

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
BTW, now the QE2 is in the Arabian Sea; previously the WebCam images were from the Red Sea.

By my calculations, the ship is now just under three days away from Dubai.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

There is a blog on worldshipny.com (or org) about the last voyage. The update for today said she had extra lookouts and the nasty sound machines (forget what they're called) have been deployed. This blog also has her webcam which I will look at before logging off for the night.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

QE2 to Drop Anchor for Final Time
quote:

The end of Queen Elizabeth 2 "the cruise ship" is near. The legendary Cunard ocean liner will pull into Dubai's port of Mina Rashid tomorrow at 3 p.m. (Dubai local time), concluding a career at sea and relinquishing the title of most famous cruise ship in the world.
More at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2950

E

Ellen Grace Butland

relinquishing the title of most famous cruise ship in the world? Not likely, not until some other ship attains a reputation to rival hers. Sorry, Queen Mary 2, just being big does not cut it for me. Rephrase the sentence to 'the most famous ACTIVE ship in the world' and I may agree that yes, the crown of most famous cruise ship in the world is now up for grabs. Which ship will gain it is anyone's guess. Just being the biggest, with the most mod cons will not automatically gain a ship that crown

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The QE2 has been "average" in terms of size for quite somw time, and wasn't even the largest ever built at the time of her completion. Where she stands out is that for the longest time, she was the only liner making regular trans-Atlantic crossings. Her nearly 40 years of service didn't hurt either. Very few ships have had as good a run.