QE 2 The View From OnBoard Her Final Year

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
quote:

For me, it is now less than a week before I fly to England; will spend the weekend in London, then head down to Southampton on the 11th, and will be able to board the QE2 around 2:15 PM, local time, on the 12th.

Pictures, my good man. We demand pictures of your excursion!
happy.gif
You lucky Sod!
happy.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Quick question: who on ET is set to sail on one of the other upcoming voyages?

Allan Smithee and myself are on the final transatlantic crossing, Oct 16-22. So, I can say that I was aboard for the birth of the QM2 and the....uhhh...transatlantic death of the QE2. At least one friend I made aboard the maiden voyage is making this crossing as well. Same deal as maiden voyage: any ET members want a postcard mailed from the final crossing can email me on the ship and I'll get it sent out.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Oh, and, enjoy your voyage John! I look forward to meeting with your friends again- I had a good time with y'all in NYC. Too bad you can't stow away aboard the crossing...twould be fun.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
quote:

Too bad you can't stow away aboard the crossing...twould be fun.
Sorry, it would be rather cramped for me, trying to pass myself off as a cabin steward, especially as my cleaning skills leave something to be desired.
wink.gif

As an alternative, I can think of one of the Moderators who could take my place; if he could just sneak away from Eastern Canada and get aboard the ship, he'd be "as happy as a clam".
grin.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Bon Voyage, John Clfford! I don't know whether this is premature or late, but either way have a great time.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Jim.

Right now I am in London; will head to Southampton tomorrow, and board the ship on Tuesday.
I will recheck my ticket, but I believe I am due to board at 14:15 (2:15 PM), local time.

I will probably send another message after I board the ship; will see when the computer center will be open.

CHEERS, EVERYONE!!!
grin.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I believe I am due to board at 14:15 (2:15 PM), local time.<<

If the baggage handler says "God himself couldn't sink this ship"...run!
evil.gif

Seriously, John, enjoy your trip. Be looking forward to any incriminating photos you have of the voyage.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
John,

I sent a PM with my mailing address. Please send a postcard!

Smooth seas...or rough seas. Whatever you prefer. I for one would love a North Atlantic storm on a Cunarder. But I'm weird.
happy.gif

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hello, everyone, from the QE2!!!

We are now sailing between Portsmouth and Lisbon; will be in Lisbon on Thursday.

I'll post, tomorrow, about my days at sea, thus far.

ENJOY!!!

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
quote:

I've been checking in on the QE2 BridgeCam online. Go jump in front of it and wave!
I'd love to do so, George, but I'd probably end up either:
1. Caught in the winds we're encountering, right now, and end up swimming in the Bay of Biscay;
or
2. Taken in for "an exclusive conference with the Commodore", with me, likely, wearing "connecting bracelets, with my hands and wrists positioned behind my buttocks"; not very dignified, to be sure.
sad.gif

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!

It is now 11:15 AM, GMT.
The QE2 is now in the Bay of Biscay. We are having slightly rough seas, right now. Hopefully, that will end later today.

Last night was a rather bumpy trip: due to heavy seas, the ship did sway and rock during the night.
My cabin porthole was ordered closed, by the Ship Master, and a couple of items fell off the desk area. The Stewards took down the bottles of champagne and mineral water that were provided for each cabin (the mineral water is not free, if consumed).

I am in Cabin #2003, on the starboard side.
The brochures show it as the most forward cabin, but there now is a Cabin #2001 ahead of me.
Being so close to the bow, I definitely felt the ship sway, during the night, as well as the movements of some of the deck equipment, as well.
Hopefully, last night's motions will be the exception.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
MY CRUISE EXPERIENCE

TUESDAY, AUGUST 12th

In Southampton, I took the Hythe Ferry accross from the Town Quay, and enjoyed the view of the QE2, as we passed by her. I had some pictures taken of me, with the ship in the background. At one point the person taking my picture said "There's more of the ship than there is of you", of which I did not complain
smile.gif
wink.gif

After getting off the Ferry, in Hythe, I went over to the Hythe Marina area, and took another picture of the ship, as well as a picture of me, with the ship in the distance.
A gentleman there was glad I told him he should watch the ship take off from the vantage of the Marina; was thankful I gave him our departure time.

After a quick lunch, I headed back to the Ferry, and sailed back to the Town Quay. Again, people lined up to get pictures of the QE2, as we passed by her.
From there I headed back to my hotel, The Ibis, to retrieve my luggage, and wait for the hired cab. The one downpoint was that when walking back to the Ibis we had a heavy rain, and my umbrella was somewhat battered by the winds.

The cab was on time, and we had a smooth, though slightly slow (due to traffic) ride to the QEII Terminal.
Check in to the ship was quick, as I did arrive around 2:00 PM. They did have postings, though, that this voyage is fully booked, so no cabin substitutions could be made.

The only delay was I had to wait until my embarkation card color and number ("Orange M") was called, and three groups were boarded before my group.

Then, of course I had the "Welcome Aboard" picture taken. I was probably the most casually dressed passenger, wearing only a darkish tan t-shirt and a pair of camouflage green cargo shorts. Yes, that's a thought of "I'm on holiday/vacation, and am being laid-back".
grin.gif

I have purchased my "Welcome Aboard" picture, in a souvenir frame, and now have another picture of the QE2, to keep for posterity.

For me, though, the waiting time meant that my luggage was delivered to my cabin before me, and I was able to unpack everything before the muster drill.

When the drill started, the alarm sound was such that "it could easily waken the dead".
wink.gif

My muster station is the Queen's Grill, so I was glad to see what it was like.
The QE2 staff made sure each passenger properly secured their lifejackets before they were dismissed. I passed on first try.
smile.gif

After that I went to the observation area, and watched as the ship sailed off, and I noted many people at the Hythe Marina watching us leave; same with several people at the end of the QEII Terminal area, in an observation section.

The departure was semi-smooth, as the winds blowing did make it hard to move around parts of the ship; was suprised that the crew didn't eventually order us off the front observation area. We did, though, eventually depart, once the winds got so strong that walking was difficult and the advice of "Hold the handrails!!" did not have to be emphasized.

I stayed out until we passed the harbors barrier forts and the nab platform; then I took a hot shower before getting ready for dinner.

I'm assigned to the Mauretania Restaurant, second seating. I did not, however, that a table assignment card was not delivered to my cabin, so I secured my table assignment when the Restaurant opened.
My table seats six people, and my companions are one man and four women, all from England; thus I am the only American. Everyone is quite pleasant, though, so I think it will be a nice experience, when at dinner.

Everyone agreed that the Mauretania Restaurant has a nicer atmosphere than that of the Britannia Restaurant on the QM2, due to the coziness of the Mauretania.
I saw the Caronia Restaurant, too, and it also looks more cozy a place for dinner.

This morning I had breakfast at The Lido, as I figure I just want to do the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

The Lido service is now food served to you, instead of "help yourself", so as to guard against the norovirus.

I have been using the hand sanitizers whenever I can, to be safe.

This morning there were presentations about the tours being offered for when we visit Lisbon, Alghero, and Cannes. I will probably skip those and see places by myself.

CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!

grin.gif

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
The BridgeCam early this morning (I'm on the East Coast of the USA, GMT -5) showed some rain splatters on the bridge window and swells. But it seems smoother now.

(p.s. to Admin. I don't think it's copyright infringement to show the QE2's real time Bridgecam, is it?)

133052.jpg

quote:

I am in Cabin #2003, on the starboard side.

Ye God's! No wonder you can feel the pitching. At least you're down the passageway from the Computer Learning Centre.

QE2 TWO DECK STATEROOMS

May 27, 2007
Russell- Post#95
quote:

I've been checking in on the QE2 BridgeCam online. Go jump in front of it and wave!

John- Post#1390
quote:

I'd love to do so, George, but I'd probably end up either:
1. Caught in the winds we're encountering, right now, and end up swimming in the Bay of Biscay;
or
2. Taken in for "an exclusive conference with the Commodore", with me, likely, wearing "connecting bracelets, with my hands and wrists positioned behind my buttocks"; not very dignified, to be sure.

Actually John, that was Russell's Idea. I would end up suggesting something like that though. So your not that far off. I was going to suggest in another topic (Queen Elizabeth 3 ?) that while your in London Town John go to the statue of Boudica near Westminster Pier, London and give her a big ole' kiss on the mouth from me.
wink.gif

Too much sugar, I know. Anyways sounds like your having fun, John. This is just like an adventure story. What's gonna happen next?