QE2 CONVERSION IN DUBAI

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
WTF? I'll say it again... if they are going to do that much to her, why even pay $100M for a ship? Starting from scratch would be less tedious for them and a lot less insulting to the rest of the world.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Before accepting the story at face value, it might be a good idea to make sure it's true. Even with Lloyd's List, the information they pass on is only as good as it's source.

Beyond that, I don't think the QE2's new owners much care about the sensibilities of liner enthusiasts. The accountants are the ones in the driver's seat now, and if they say "This is what the market wants" that the way they're going to call it and that's where the new owners are going to go.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

You are right, Michael, but bean counters have the souls of worms. Altering the ship by this much (30m nip and tuck) will destroy the "historical accuracy" Joe, you're also right, why pay $100 millUS for her and then do this to her. But accountants are usually not into history,art or anything worthwhile, theyre into piling up the money for its own sake. But Michael, I will welcome any news of her, bad or good. Please post.
WTDF, its like buying the Mona Lisa and painting a new background because the scene behind her is too 'old fashioned', or altering her hair style and the colour of her eyes. Very soon, the only thing left is Mona Lisa's smile - so do we still have the painting Mona Lisa after all the alterations? So not! Same with QE2. But I still want all the news, the desecration of the corpse is still part of her history

E

Ellen Grace Butland

The date of death is on the day they begin gutting the engine room, from then she will be incapable of moving under her own power. I was told the birth date of a ship is the day of lauching, death date is date of sinking, wreck, demolition begins or when ship is hulked. In QE2's case, I consider it would be hulked (as a ship) despite what happens afterwards. Peter shanks will be rubbing his hands in glee, as far as Cunard is concerned, the old bitch is dead.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You are right, Michael, but bean counters have the souls of worms.<<

Some would argue that they don't have souls at all, but be that as it may, they fill an essential function. It would be nice if somehow, the world could be divorced from money, but the real world doesn't work that way. It's the bean counters which collect the data to give the business people a sense of what will and what will not pay.

If they get it right, the enterprise survives. If it doesn't, it fails and in this instance, the ship would pay the price.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Point taken, Michael, but in this case I wonder - are there fates worse than death. I guess we have to wait and see, but I do not hold my breath. However, my post above holds still. I would like to see what info you glean from your many sources and spies, about what happens to her.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>are there fates worse than death.<<

Errrrrr...being forced to watch C-SPAN or finding out your kids are dating politicians???
shock.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, I would say "Yes" to that question and one can look at the Queen Mary in Long Beach to see the consequences of over four decades of mismanagement. Some would argue that the scrapyard might have been more dignified then neglect and I can't argue against that. We'll just have to wait and see if the people in Dubai are smarter about this then the outfits Long Beach hired.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

If anyone finds out what is happening to QE2, news or pictures, could you please post your findings here, as I have said in another post on this board, the desecration of the corpse is still part of her story. Most people have declared her dead, but I prefer to wait until conversion work begins, and I will declare the 'death certificate' on that day.