QE2 held back Cunard from being luxury fleet says Carnival boss

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Aaargh, do the Sultans also have P&O's collection. Peter, can you tell me what happened to Canberra's Falkland's War plaque and the huge photo of her arriving home, which was in one of her stairwells. Also her 'gong' which was above the bridge-house windows? I am not sure whether that went to Alang. If you know, I would appreciate news. B***** Carnival, this is Britain's maritime heritage they are selling. Although the Arabic nations also have a long maritime history going back hundreds, if not thousands of years, I wonder that they want the heritage of another nation, and a Western one at that.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Thank you Eric, for that image, once I get a decent printer I'll print it for my ever growing scrapbook (and maybe find it in Engineering or Shipbuilder for a description) At least poor QE2 has a part of her illustrious predecessor to accompany her on her voyage into hell. The telegraph was not aboard when I rode QE2 in 1989, though. Many thanks.

Peter Newall

Aug 19, 2006
Hello Ellen,
Although I have complete inventory of what was aboard QE2, I do not have the same for the P&O Heritage Collection, which has about 600 paintings, 190 ship models and large quantities of other material.

Mauretania’s engine room telegraph and builder’s plate used to be in the Mauretania Restaurant - you can see it on page 134 of my Mauretania Triumph and Resurrection book. It was moved to the Officer’s Wardroom, which also had ship’s bells from Aquitania and the 1905 Carmania.
Peter

Peter Newall

Aug 19, 2006
Sultans also have P&O's collection. B***** Carnival, this is Britain's maritime heritage they are selling.....

I should point out Ellen that Carnival do not own the the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company. That was bought by DP World, which is owned by the Dubai Government and still operates P&O Ferries. Carnival only bought the P&O Cruises brand. The famous P&O flag is used by P&O Cruises “on loan”￾ from the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company.
Peter