QE2 in Heavy Seas

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Permission to use these has been provided by Steve Swanson of LinersList at Yahoo.com.

I included the Queen Victoria as well.

heavy_seass.jpg

heavy_seas_2s.jpg

heavy_seass_copy1.jpg

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
What a contrast in ships. The QE2 looks as if she is made to ride the waves, while the QV just digs into the wave and goes submarine with her tiny bow. The horizon is actually slanted in QE2's photos so her pitch is exaggerated in the photo.
I remember these photos from QV's maiden crossing in tandem with QE2 in which QE2 had to reduce her speed considerably so that QV could keep up. They must have been going really slow in these waves for QV to make it with her short cruise ship bow.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Closer inspection of the photos will show that QV's bow is not submerged. She did not ship any seas on this crossing.
What is seen is simply spray from the swells, with QV's bow-line still above the sea.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
quote:

The first two images are interesting, as I contemplate being in Cabin #2003.
Can you say D R A M A M I N E ?
happy.gif

quote:

The horizon is actually slanted in QE2's photos so her pitch is exaggerated in the photo.
Perhaps. But look how much of her bow hull is exposed!
happy.gif

quote:

Closer inspection of the photos will show that QV's bow is not submerged.
Yes. When I first saw this photo I had to do a double take. For her to go submarine in these types of waves would mean either a serious design flaw or being seriously out of trim, neither cases which Cunard is known for.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Can you say D R A M A M I N E ?<<

Not me. I've never had a problem with mal de mar although I've seen some who have. For me at least, this would be home sweet home. Now pass the biscuits with jam and butter that nobody else seems to want.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I get seasick at the drop of a hat, so in a crossing like shown in the pics I would be on the great white telephone for the entire voyage. And I still can't beleive that until I left University, I was bound and determined to spend a couple of years at sea.

Guess it would have been the wrong choice. :D

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Some people just don't get seasick. I guess it's wired into their DNA. It's like swimming. Some people have to be taught, and to some people it comes naturally. My parents tell me when I was about 2 years old I took a giant run and lept into the swimming pool. My mom almost had a heart attack until she saw I was treading water with ease.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Russell

My parents handled it a bit differently. When I was 4, my father dropped me off the end of the dock at the cottage. I did just fine. He, on the other hand, had to face the wrath of my mother. He said it was an experiance NEVER to be repeated.
happy.gif