QE2 in Singapore 1415 March 2004

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
OK, where should I start?
When I heard the news that the QE2 was arriving here at 8.00 this morning, I followed my parents to work and they dropped me off at HarbourFront, where the Singapore Cruise Centre is situated at 8am. I waited and stared and STARED at the berths where the cruise liners normally berth in. I saw two foreign liners, the Deutschland and the Astor, together with a lot of ferries and small launches, but no QE2. Maybe overdue, I thought. So I decided to return later in the afternoon to see whether it had arrived, or whatever. From HarbourFront, I took a taxi to the bowling centre where I was planning to go bowling (Lugging a 12lb ball with equipment around is not easy). Then I saw a chartered bus bearing the sign CUNARD - QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 SENTOSA. I thought - The QE2 has arrived! So I decided to follow the bus and unfortunately they headed up to take the cable car to Sentosa, a holiday island. I did not want to pay the S$25 approx. US$15 entrance fee to the island just for a chance, so I went back and took the subway to the bowling centre. BUT THEN, in the train, I noticed a group of 5 tourists (Later I learnt, they were from Canada) sitting directly opposite me. I had nothing to do, so I took a closer look at them and noticed that one of the women was wearing a QE2 shirt. So I put 2 and 2 together and as I guessed, they WERE from the QE2. Unfortunately, I had only two stops to spend with them before my station arrived. But I found out a few things, most importantly was the QE2 was NOT berthed where normal cruise liners are berthed at, but rather as in there tourist's words, 'At a commercial port'. First clue. After bowling, I called Cunard and they told me that the QE2 was berthed at PSA (Port of Singapore Authority) but declined to comment further. So, I called up PSA and after a while, managed to find out that the QE2 was berthed at Pier P25. I returned to the Singapore Cruise Centre later hoping to find some QE2 passengers (The Canadian tourist had kindly told me that they were dropped off at HarbourFront) but all I saw were German passengers from the Deutschland and Astor and Asian passengers from two liners that had just arrived, the MegaStar Taurus and SuperStar Virgo. Also, none of the Singapore Cruise Centre people knew ANYTHING about the QE2 and when I enquired one even said, "What? You want to look for Queen Elizabeth II?", thinking I was looking for the Queen of England. After my father had finished work, we made a tour of the wharves (outside), and we met two boatmen whom told us that the QE2 was tied up at Wharves Gate 4 (Ferry terminal). I then went to Labrador park and there I got my first glance of the QE2 in my life, from about 600m. off, unfortunately too far to see any details and was also blocked by the many cargo ships in the harbour. We drove around, trying to find a better place to view and I could not get any closer (through the gate) because you need to have a letter from Cunard or be a passenger to go through. But I got a better view of it from about 200m. away, directly in front of the bow, although a little blocked by a fence and some structures. Now you see how secure Singaporean security is, and its so secretive that nobody knows, where the ship is berthed at. And, it is so secure that even the PSA staff cannot enter. What a rip-off wasting my effort and energy for the whole day! But hey, now you know my PERSEVERANCE.
grin.gif
DOWN WITH TERRORISM!
angry.gif
angry.gif

(FYI, I spent a tremendous amount off effort trying NOT to include vulgarities into this post LOL)