QE2 Most Recent Refit

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone know when the QE2's most recent refit was? How extensive was this refit? I have heard that Cunard reduced her capacity by turning some passenger cabins into crew quarters. It also looks like all the cabins now have a private bathroom. I had read that when she was built that many of the 2nd class cabins shared community bathrooms. Can anyone clarify this? If so, where were the community baths located and did they turn the space they occupied into cabins?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 18, 2003
New Jersey,USA
Hi Joe,Right now as I am writing this message,the QE2 is getting her refit right now at the Lloyd Werft Shipyard in Bremerhaven,Germany from about April 24th to about May 8th her next cruise is on May 9th.I have not heard of any plans to turn some passenger cabins into crew quarters that will result in a lower passenger capacity,where did you get this information? and ever since the QE2 entered service in 1969 all of the staterooms in all of the categories always had their own bathrooms,there were never any community bathrooms.From what I have read in other ship related websites the refit work of the QE2 will include new kitchen equipment for the galleys,Repair work on her hull and a new paint job on the hull and repair work on the tank tops which are located on the lowest deck of the ship.The rumors are that Cunard plans to keep the QE2 in service for about another 10-12-15 years.And that Cunard is installing new kitchen equipment aboard the QE2 makes the above stated rumors to be true.No cruise line is going to install new kitchen equipment aboard a ship if the cruise line is planning to retire the ship in a few years time.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Wow, thanks for that info. I think that I might have had my ships mixed up with the bathroom thing, sorry for the mixup. As for the story on the QE2 reducing passenger cabin numbers, I got that info from a website that looks like it is a QE2 employee or something. You can see below. The person talks about being in a former stateroom. I could be wrong. Maybe you'll know what they are talking about.

http://www.mreilly.com/WebPages/printing/coop/Room/room.html

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
As of now, she seems to be in a dry dock. The sun is shining on her foredeck. Lloyd Werft does not have an indoor dry dock, like some builders. They are something to see!