QE2 to Stop Transatlantic Voyages in April 2004

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I just received word from a Cunard Line birdie that told me starting in April of 2004 the Queen Elizabeth II will be replaced on the Transatlantic run by the still being built Queen Mary II.

Not to worry QE2 isn't being retired she will start doing other trips, mostly out of Miami in the winters and Europe in the summers from what I understand. But that is 2 years off.

The QE2 may not last past 2010 with out a major refit. Something I don't think that Cunard or Carnival for that matter wants to undertake. Last time I checked she was several things short of the 2010 SOLAS deadline and those things left to be done are the big money things. If she is retired around 2010 count on her being a musem or floating hotel. She won't be going the scrap yard that I can promise you.

Erik

May 8, 2001
Is it a strange twist of fate that the QE2 has come full circle, being the first captain of this ship was Captain Warwick, and his son is in command of her now?
I found this site tonight. A very nice tribute from Captain Warwick's son/grandson. http://www.qe2.org.u k/captains.html

Erik. Do you know all the captains in this photo?
http://www.qe2.org.u k/images/caps.jpg

QE2 made the CNN radio news tonight. Only that she would not be doing Atlantic crossings after 2004.
Colleen

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Not all of them,

But Captain Hall, Captain Warwick, and Captain Hasell and I are good drinking buddies. They know me as Woody. It has been close to three years since I have seen any of them. It just may have been one of them who told me about the change in the schedule.

Captain Ridley, who I don't think was in the group picture I have met several times but I haven't talked to him in over 10 years.

Erik

Mar 28, 2002
Hello all,

The QM2 is being built in a French shipyard. Any ideas which one?

I have just returned from a trip to the French Riviera (just thought I'd rub that in) and noticed several huge cruise liners anchored off Nice, Monaco, Cannes and Villefranche-sur-mer . I know the Carousel was anchored off Villefranche because some of her passengers were on the Monaco-Nice train with us talking about her. Any ideas what the others may have been? The one off Cannes on the first day of the Film Festival (Wednesday 15th) looked particularly bloody nice. I thought someone may have knowledge of the cruising schedules.

Cheers,

Boz

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I used to know most schedules but not any more. I want to say that QM2 is at Chantles Atlantique (that is the wrong spelling) but, I could be wrong.

Erik

May 8, 2001
WHAT??? WHERE IS EVERYBODY??? I heard the end of a news story today that there was a ship (Scandanavian line maybe) off the coast of Scotland that the engine room had caught on fire and all the passengers were in the process of being evacuated. I ran over here, and see nothing so far from you. I don't know any other details, but hope som eof you can fill me in on it...
Colleen

Mar 28, 2002
Morning Colleen,

Just heard it on the radio that it is a Scandanavian ferry with 900 aboard. Two fires which broke out off the east coast of Scotland are now under control and the ferry is limping back to port in Norway.

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 28, 2002
Bit more for you.

Princess of Scandanavia operated by DFDS Seaways (part of Danish DFDS group) left Newcastle, England at 3.15pm Friday with 758 passengers and 126 crew, bound for Gothenburg, Sweden via her home port of Kristiansand, Norway. At 10.45pm, a Mayday was sent after two fires broke out in the engine room, 150 miles south-east of Aberdeen. The RAF scrambled 8 helicopters and a Nimrod jet to take the passengers to nearby oil rigs. The Aberdeen coastguard sent 13 vessels with medics and rescue equipment. The rescue operation was called off after the crew managed to put out the fires and restart the engines. The ferry is now limping to Kristiansand and is expected to be 8 hours behind schedule past it's 9.15am scheduled arrival on Saturday. The passengers were mainly Scandanavian with about one-third from the UK.
The Princess of Scandanavia was built in 1976, refurbished in 1991 and can carry 350 vehicles.

Cheers,

Boz

May 8, 2001
Thanks Boz. Yes, I heard the words "Princess" and "Scandanavia" and thought it was some Princess cruise ship. Though 900 on board is nothing to sneeze at. Thank you for the update. Odd that there hasn't been a single word on the AOL news, or newspaper so far.
Colleen

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Over the last few years steam as almost disappeared from the passenger industry. Now the Great Lakes are doing the same thing. Slowly but surely steam is being replaced. They are talking desiel engines out of old Lakers and putting them in steam plants to increase the life and lower the operating cost.

Erik

A

Alex McLean

The QM2 is being built in the same slip that launched Normandie over half a decade ago. Hope this helps.