QE2 Unseen for about 30 years Slides

Apr 23, 2002
While cleaning I came across a box of slides in the cupboard and having gone through them I found 2 of the QE2 in NY harbour that my mum told me she had taken while on the Circle Line boat. However, I have just managed to get them scanned on a slide scanner and here they are, taken in September, 1972.
97750.jpg

97751.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Great photos, Greg, and thanks for posting them. Interesting to see both the QE2 in her earlier configuration and the then-state-of-the-art-now-borderline-pathetic piers under construction.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi Greg,

Thanks for these slides.
QE2 is, in my opinion, the most beautiful ship in the world, still in service or not.
SS France was in her time a gorgeous ship, just slightly edging out QE2 on my list. (those twin funnels! Talk about a nice pair of stacks!) Sadly France/Norway is now history more than likely, and my heart will be broken when QE2's time comes.

Kyle

Apr 27, 2005
Coincidently, I also found slides that I took in 1974, down at Cunard's NY pier. Hope these are historically relevant and interesting.

Oversized image removed - JDT

Apr 27, 2005
R.Glueck QE2 NYC 74

There are others too, if they would be of particular interest. Most are similar to these.

Oversized image removed - JDT

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Richard,

Great looking photos, but I'm afraid I had to remove them as they were over the allowable limit, as per the board rules.

quote:

The ability to upload images and other files is a very popular feature of the board.

Please follow these guidelines.

- File size must be no greater than 35 Kb.

- Images must be no more than 400 pixels in height or width.

If you wish to post them again you may do so, but please make sure they are within the limit.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Gday there.....
I always thought the forward windows were removed around the mid 1980"s? (observation/lounge)ect.In the above picture taken 1974 that they are already gone.Does that mean she had a major change done within the 1st 5 years of service?.What year did the forward facing windows get removed?.....
Many thanks Linerdan
happy.gif

Apr 23, 2002
I think it was in 1972 she had her first refit which removed these windows so they were also removed by the time my mother took her slides in the September of 1972 although they cannot be seen in the actual slides.

Correct me if I am wrong though.

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Thanks for the reply greg , i didnt realise she was changed so soon in her career.She was designed as the ship of the future and yet had such a major work done so early on.I think she was better with the windows and having a forward view.Glad to see QM2 has the view , i think passengers like to see where they are going
happy.gif