QE2QM2 in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Baber

View from Weehawken, New Jersey:
85947.jpg

Mark, Yesterday I took my own pictures from the same spot in Weehawken,New Jersey.The QM2 really is the way bigger ship when compared with the QE2.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Thanks for posting that picture, Mark!

God Almighty! What ever the QM2 may lack in the beauty department, she certainly more than compensates for it in shear bulk! About 10 to 12 years ago, while aboard my father-in-law's boat, we were taking a trip down stream towards the Narrows. The QE2 was there that day so we paused about 50 yards off the end of the piers to gawk and take a few photos. She looked absolutely enormous, especially when compared to the Home Line's Atlantic and the even-smaller Chandris ship Amerikanis. This new ship dwarfs the QE2 on much the same scale; I think we would have had back off that pier another 50 yards just to get the same shot I took of the QE2, even with a wide angle lense!

Scott Andrews

VIEW FROM NY SIDE: For security reasons, a chain link fence and sawhorse barrier was set up along the outer perimeter of the pier complex, so the view available to the general public was, to say the least, restricted.
85985.jpg

But the corresponding profile of the QM2 was blocked by some regrettably parked NYPD vehicles, and so a much narrower shot had to be taken.
85991.jpg

In addition to taking some pictures of the QM2 and QE2 from the New Jersey side of the Hudson River,I also went over to the West Side of Manhattan to the Piers 90 and 92 where QM2 and QE2 are docked.But because of security concerns tourists like myself could not go beyond the chain link fence between us and the QM2 and QE2.So I had to take some pictures through the chain link fence of both ships and also across 12th Avenue just as Jim did.

The only easily accessed trees, other than the saplings planted in the island between 12th and the terminal, were in the playground at 12th and W52nd, and they were unfortunately on the far side of the pier so the view was not any better. Likewise, the rooftop views were only satisfactory from buildings to the SE of the pier, and with telephoto.

Mark Baber

There were, though, some good viewing locations on both sides of the river that didn't involve any tree-climbing. At about 7:30, the gates barring access to the end of Pier 60 were unlocked, so after dinner at the Chelsea Brewing Co. on Pier 59, Rosanne MacIntyre, John Clifford, Jason Tiller, Jeff Newman and I were among a hundred or so people who were able to watch from the river end of Pier 60 as both ships departed. A wonderful view both of the ships and the fireworks, especially through Jason's spyglass.

"Ship Ahoy!"

A

Alex McLean

Mark,
Good to hear you caught up with Jason and John, I know they were excited about meeting you. Did you happen to snap any photos of the ships departing?
Also, Jason, do you have any shots of me in the boat from the QM2. If so, would you mind getting a copy for me and posting it over. I've got a few of you and John aboard I shot, so I'll email them across first chance I get.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Hi Phil

Try climbing a tree... or a skyscraper?
Well, Jason and I did just that, on Saturday: we went up to the Observation Deck of the Empire State Building (after a good 90 minute wait).
We were both thrilled to see the Queen Mary 2, from the 80th and 86th Floors.

On Sunday, the lines were much too long, so we did not see the sight of the Queen Mary 2 and QE2, from that vantage point, though I will wager many a visitor crowded over for photographs taken from the northwest corner of the 86th Floor.

Mark Baber

Hello, Alex---

We all had a great time Sunday night. It was nice seeing John again (some 3 1/2 years after our first---and until Sunday, last---meeting) and meeting Jason for the first time.

Unfortunately, it was a little too dark for my simple camera to prodeuce very good pictures of either ship. I've been playing with some of the shots I took, and may be able to produce some decent images of QM2 coming down the river, but all I got of QE2 are spots of light against a dark background. I'm going to try again tonight and if I produce anything worthwhile, I'll post 'em here.

People pix came out better, though, and some will be forthcoming.

Jason D. Tiller

A good time was had by all at the Chelsea Brewing Co. on April 25th! It was such a pleasure to meet everyone! I'm so glad we all could get together for dinner and to watch the QM2 and QE2 depart.

Roseanne: Great to finally meet you! I enjoyed our chat and if you ever plan on visiting Toronto again, I would be pleased to show you around, including the Titanic related sites of course!

Mark: Great to meet you as well! I would have liked to have talked to you more, but time ran out. Hopefully next time.

Jerry: Great meeting you and your items that you brought along were interesting to see.

"Ship Ahoy!"

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.