QM2 The View From Onboard

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Tomorrow which is October 19th,I'll be going aboard the QM2 for my first ever roundtrip transatlantic crossings,I never did a transatlantic crossing before.During the crossing to Southampton and the crossing back to New York,I'll post some reports.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Jerry.

Indeed, please let us know about all the events going on aboard the ship.

Also, you might want to see how many of the 2008 QE2 trips are already sold out.
When I was on the ship, three weeks ago, heading back to New York, the word was that the September through November trips were already booked.

Any news, pictures, postings greatly received.

BON VOYAGE!!!!

&

CHEERS!!!

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Thanks Mike and John. As I am writing this post it is 10:15 AM.A few hours earlier this morning it was raining and the sea were just a wavy like and another passenger told me that she heard that the seas were about 8 to 12 feet.Now it has stopped raining it is still cloudy but it looks like the sun is trying to break through the clouds.On today's Daily Programme on the front page it does give out navigation information.It says that after dropping our harbour pilot near Ambrose Light,the Queen Mary 2 turned east and stayed over 20 nautical miles south of Long Island and the QM2 passed south of Montauk Point around midnight.The QM2 sailed over the Continental Shelf shortly after 8:00 this morning.One of the events going on this morning at 11:30 AM is a lecture by Astronaut and Scientist Rusty L.Schweickart discussing Life in Space and Life on Earth.I will try to get information on when and if the QM2 will sail over or near the Titanic wreck site and I will try to find out how many of the QE2's 2008 voyages are sold out.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if they'll even bother sailing over the wrecksite unless it so happens to be the best route to follow. It won't look like much. Trust me on that. Just another patch of deep blue or (Depending on the weather) grey seas.

Look forward to hearing about it if they do.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Now as I am writing this post it is 10:21 AM aboard the QM2.The navigation information in today's programme says that during the morning the QM2 will continue sailing on her track to a position approximately 290 nautical miles south of Cape Race,Newfoundland.By the early afternoon the QM2 will alter course onto a Great Circle track towards Bishop Rock at the entrance to the English Channel.A few hours later the QM2 will pass only 40 nautical miles to the north of the wreck of the Titanic.The QM2's track will also take her 25 nautical miles southeast of the Grand Banks,where the depth of the water shallows rapidly from several thousand metres to as little as 40 metres.So I guess that around 2,3 or 4 PM this afternoon the QM2 will be 40 nautical miles north of the Titanic wreck.Right now it seems that the seas have calmed down somewhat from yesterday.Later today I will post information I can get about how many of the QE2's cruises and her few crossings are sold out.Another post will be posted here in the early evening.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Thanks, Jerry, for your posts aboard the Queen Mary 2; looking forward to your information, and the highlights of the crossings.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
BTW, Jerry, during the layover in Southampton, in addition to seeing the Titanic sites there, you should also take the Hythe Ferry accross from the Town Quay to the Hythe Pier, and back (you can let the operators know if you just want to immediately come back accross, as Jason Tiller and I did in April 2004).

The Hythe Ferry route, as I mentiioned in other postings, will go right by the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal, for great pictures of the ship, something mentioned in the Hythe Ferry brochures and on their website.

You'll also be able to, later on, see people lining up along the Marina area to watch the ship depart.
The Marina area is a short walk from the Hythe Pier, and there is a short train shuttle to take you to the end of the Ferry Pier, both for after the Ferry arrives, and a few minutes before it arrives to take people back to the Town Quay.
See http://www.hytheferry.co.uk for more information, including the departures timetables.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
John,Thanks for the information on the Hythe Ferry .As it turns out the QM2 at 4:15 PM ship's time was 42 nautical miles north of the wreck of the Titanic.The Commodore of the QM2 who is Commodore Bernard Warner gave that information over the ship's public address system at 12:00 Noon when the QM2's whistle is blown for testing purposes,I always like to hear the ship's whistle.I did ask about the 2008 voyages of the QE2 at the cruise sales office aboard QM2.I was told that there is just space available on the QE2's Mediterranean Cruises.All the other QE2 cruises are sold out including the few Transatlantic Crossings the QE2 will do in 2008.Some more information tomorrow.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Last night I and the other people at the dinner table I am assigned to were invited to have dinner at the captain's table.But the host at the captain's table was not Commodore Bernard Warner.The host was 1st Officer Ben Lyons and there was even at the table a female cadet who is in training to become a bridge officer.Ben Lyons is an American citizen and there is another officer who is not British.He is Gennaro Arma and he is an Italian citizen.I have heard that a bridge officer aboard a British merchant ship does not have to be a British citizen.I will write another post in a few days

Sheila Jones

Oct 23, 2007
Hi Jerry. It is fantastic to be able to read a daily log of your trip on the QM2 - my mum and dad are on the same trip so I feel like i can be a little in touch with them while they're sailing. So, thanks. It's really interesting to read your log anyway, especially details of the route and how close you were (relatively!) to the Titanic wreck site and to the Grand Banks. I wished I had known this stuff when I sailed transatlantic last year on the QM2. It would have added to a great trip. Have a wonderful voyage. My mum and dad are Dorothy and Vincent Jones, if you happen to bump into them - they're sociable and also very interested in the route. I will show them your log some time. Thanks again. and i look forward to your other posts.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hey Jerry; just wanted to see how the rest of the eastbound voyage has been. Are you on the westbound crossing now?? Yes, I presume that the ship is only a few hours out of Southampton.

Two other items:
1. I did check the Mediterranean Voyages schedule for next year, including the QE2's final trip. It seems that there are 21 trips scheduled, for that region, in 2008. The Queen Victoria has 10 voyages scheduled, and the QE2 has 9 voyages listed, and the Queen Mary 2 has 2 voyages.
Thus, it looks like passengers may be taking advantage of the schedules to get on board the Queen Victoria as much as one last time on the QE2; and
2. JERRY: Have you seen, at the Photo Shop/Displays, the picture of the QE2 that was taken as the ships passed each other on September 22nd? If it is there I wonder how many people are buying it.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I know it has been a week since I last posted and I do apologize since it has been a liitle more than a few days.Sheila,I do hope that your parents enjoyed the crossing and I did talk to some other passengers without asking their names so maybe I did talk to your parents.John,I did go to the photo shop and asked for the photo of the QE2 taken from the QM2,but the man in the photo shop could not find it so I will try again.He did say that a lot of passengers did buy copies of that photo.Last Thursday the QM2 arrived in Southampton and I did have a moment of sadness looking at the dock the Titanic sailed which is Berth 44 which I was able to get a great view from the QM2 as she sailed from Berth 38.I did even took a few pictures of Berth 44,so I hope I can learn how to post pictures onto the internet because I really would like post the photographs I took around Southampton.Last Thursday after I got off the QM2,I did go over to Cobwebs which is a shop in Southampton that does have ocean liner memorabilia.Anyone interested in getting a porthole from the Lusitania? That is one of the items for sale at Cobwebs.The Lusitania porthole is in good condition and the glass window in the porthole is still intact without a crack in the glass and about several inches of the Lusitania's hull still all around the porthole and still painted black.I can't remember the exact price for the porthole but I do remember that it is very pricey.Cobwebs also has other kinds of ocean liner memorabilia.Such as menus from the S.S.United States and other ships,books about ocean liners including of course the Titanic.Any one else visiting Southampton who has a great interest in ships really should visit this shop even just to look at all the ocean liner memorabilia for sale.I did go to see the memorial for the Titanic's engineers which is located in a park and it is a statue of an angel.The words on the memorial dedicate the memorial to the crew of the Titanic who stayed at their posts as the Titanic was going down.I did also visit the Maritime Museum in Southampton where I did see a large model of the first Queen Mary and more Titanic memorabilia.But unfortunately no one is allowed to take pictures in the museum.I did also walked over to the Southwestern Hotel to take some pictures where some of the Titanic's passengers stayed at the night before the Titanic's departure.Today it is no longer a hotel but it is now luxury apartments I think.Just a few nights ago at the dinner table I'm assigned to we did have the QM2's enviromental officer as our host.He did even tell us of his prediction which is about several years from now that Cunard will build another Transatlantic Liner because he feels that as more and more people get fed up with disappointing transatlantic airline service they will then turn to the ships as the mode of transportation across the Atlantic Ocean between the United States and Europe.I do agree with him and I do hope that Cunard does build that second Transatlantic Liner.I did have the chance to ask Stephen Payne who did design the QM2 and who is on this voyage giving a lecture about the possibility of another building another Cunard Transatlantic Liner.He said that the possibility is still there for another Transatlantic Liner.My guess is that hopefully when and if the second Cunard Transatlantic Liner goes into service it will be done probably a few years after the new Queen Elizabeth goes into service.There is of course no official news about the second Transatlantic Liner from Cunard but I still hope that she will be built.I will write more about this When I get home later this week.