Quartermasters and Lookouts

Nick Guzan

Feb 17, 2010
I would like to know the quartermasters and lookouts.
The quartermasters I know are:
Hitchens, Bright, Rowe, Olliver, Perkis

The lookouts I know are:
Fleet, Lee

Please inform me on the others(if there are any)

Nick

Celia Bennett

Jun 25, 2005
Harry Holman - Lookout. Hello, my grandfather Joseph Holman was one of several brothers and sisters to Harry Holman Lookout. Orignally when the papers in Portsmouth and Gosport reported the news they stated it was Alfred who went down, this was a mistake and it was Harry. My grandfather lived to the age of 93 and died in 1973. This is a family of great sailors and there is a lot more I can tell you about this family.

Cal Haines

Dec 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Celia wrote:
... my grandfather Joseph Holman was one of several brothers and sisters to Harry Holman Lookout. ...

Hi Celia,

If you haven't found it already, here is the ET bio for Harry Holman: Link to bio of Harry Holman (He signed aboard as an Able Bodied Seaman).

It would be great to update his biography to include his date of birth, names of his parents, details of his career, etc.. I would be happy to help you with the writing, if you like. Do you have any photographs of him?

Warm Regards,

Cal

Celia Bennett

Jun 25, 2005
Hello Cal: Thank you for your reply.Yes I did see that site. The parents to Harry Holman was Father= William who was a carpenter and died at a very young age. His mother was Pricilla we beleive ORouke they were furniture makers in Ireland and had there own store. The parents met in Ireland, and because of religous background got married in Portsmouth.At St. Thomas Cathederal. There were 3 sisters Emma and Nannie, brothers, John, Joseph, Alfred and Fred who were twins and Harry. Joseph was the father to my mother. Joseph had 3 daughters and one son.
My grandfather, his father, and another brother ran the chainbarge between Gosport and Portsmouth. My grandfather served on the Sparrowhawk, Battle of Jutland, was on the ship when it sank but survived for 18 hours in the water before being rescued. Lived to tell the story. I have a picture of Alfred and my grandfather in uniforms. There is a John Holman listed in Commonwealth Graves site, and buried in Portsmouth died 1940, whether this is John the brother I do not know but will have to do more research. My Grandfather travelled the world. I live in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I recall a story he told me about coming to Vancouver. In 1973 I had a long talk with him. He said he remembers sailing into Vancouver under full rig. I wonder what date that was? I didnt have the heart to tell him how much Vancouver had changed since that time. One last little note. In the Gosport and Portsmouth papers it was reported Alfred went
down on the Titanic, this was incorrect,it was Harry. Regards Celia

P

Peter Clarke

Robert Hichens, QM, was my wife's uncle. Are there any other relatives or descendents out there who would wish to make contact? peter3804@aol.com

J

Jane Dzik

Well Peter, I'm sure there are a lot of people ready to talk with you. Hichens has been the topic of some debate here and maybe you can help answer some of our questions.

Jane

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Peter,
I've tracked down all but one of Robert Hichens' children and as soon as I have completed some final research on his death I'll be glad to put you in touch with the various branches--shouldn't be long at all. His oldest daughter has two living daughters (one in England and one in Australia)--the second daughter is the one I haven't tracked down (though I know her husband's name), the third daughter has a son in suburban London, Bob had no children, and the youngest child has three sons living in Hampshire. All of the Hichens siblings (children of Robert) are now deceased. I have all of their birth certificates, some of their marriage records, and all but one of the death certificates. I've visited the grave of Hichens' wife Florence (it is unmarked-but we found it). Robert isn't buried there. In the list given on this site there is an extra child listed that didn't exist (one of the names given as a separate child is actually the middle name of a daughter). Last week I received notification of information that makes me think we've finally tracked the old guy down--and I'm racing to the mailbox everyday hoping to see the final proof. Feel free to contact me privately at habanero17@yahoo.com

Regards,
Phil

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Thanks Michael-it wasn't in the mail this morning though every day I'm thinking "this could be the day." Finding Hichens would be a great prize-

Phil

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Fingers are crossed, prayers being offered...hell, I'll even give a goat or two to the Volcano God if it'll help. Really Phil, it's amazing that you've covered as much ground as you have.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

P

Peter Clarke

Ref QM Robert Hichens. In the Signing-on sheets elsewhere in ET, there appears against Hichen's name, in the Certificate column, the note "Rng.6 S532B". Can anyone tell me what this note means?

E

elizabeth cutler

come on PETER CLARKE you are keeping me in suspense answer me please ELIZABETH

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Answering Peter Clarke's above question, the notation in the crew agreements is Hichens' RNR number.

These are accessible on microfiche at the Public Records Office in Kew, England - these records have proved a fairly fruitful hunting ground for information on the Titanic's crew.

~ Inger

P

Peter Clarke

Inger - many thanks for the information. I'm planning a trip to PRO for family history reasons, so hopefully I can include this.
Peter

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Not a problem - I've got a copy of the Hichens files if you don't have time to pull them up yourself at the PRO and would be happy to send them to you (the microfiche print didn't turn up too well, however, so a first-generation copy would probably be better for your purposes). It's a handy little time-saver to have his official No. as it saves you from going through the microfilmed index to find it.

~ Inger

Logan Geen

Dec 2, 2001
I am wondering about Quartermaster Bright's testimony about how he went to the docking bridge, met Rowe (whom he was supposed to relieve) and then they both went forward and assisted in firing rockets. I do not believe that Boxhall or Rowe ever mentioned this at all, I remember Boxhall referring to only one quartermaster (and since Boxhall was presumably in charge of the rockets he should have noticed Bright). Bright claimed-I believe-to have moved back and forth between firing rockets and assisting with the lifeboats. Needless to say I wonder why Boxhall and Rowe neglected to mention him.

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
I fail to think of why Quartermaster Bright would have lied about firing rockets - there doesn't seem to be any reason why he should have mentioned it if he had no need to do so.

However, a possible reason that I could think of would be that Bright failed to relieve Rowe at the right time and panicked after that, assisting with the lifeboats instead. Perhaps he wanted to cover this up.

I'm really not sure whether this fits in and makes sense, however.

Regards,
Charmaine

E

elizabeth cutler

I posted messages on the 14th. they were there now there not can anyone tell me why????? dont you like me????? or am i looking in the wrong place. ELIZABETH.