Quebec City Titanic Exhibit

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
This is my reference: http://www.expotitanic.ca/en/home.php

I chose the English Page option, as the link does open up in French.

Anyway, here is something I am looking forward to: TITANIC: THE ARTIFACT EXHIBITION, which is located in the Espace 400e Pavilion at the Port of Québec.

On Thursday, I will have to see where this is located, from the Hotel Chateau Frontenac.

Jason Tiller and I plan to visit this Exhibit, either on Friday or Saturday; possibly on Sunday.

We will let you know what our thoughts are, regarding it.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hello from Quebec City!!

Today, Jason Tiller and I did visit the Titanic Exhibit. We enjoyed it, a lot!

The Exhibit is spread out over three floors.
At the beginning you receive your passenger card, same as at many of the past Titanic Exhibits, and at the permanent venues.

The Exhibit begins with a discussion about the salvage issues, progress on what has happened, and what needs to be done. A discussion is also noted, regarding the rusticles.

After that, one follows the Titanic story from the 1907 Ismay-Pirrie meeting through to the construction of the ship, to the launch, voyage, and sinking.
Included during everything are displays about the many items brought up from the wreck site.

At the end you learn whether your passenger lived or died.
I was Hudson Joshua Creighton Allison, so I knew, immediately, that I would perish on April 15, 1912; same with Jason, who was J.J. Astor.

Jason and I spent two-and-a-half hours at the Exhibit; recommend you do, too. CHEERS!!!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I also forgot to mention: at the end of the Exhibit is a tribute to Millvina Dean; that was quite moving. It noted that she was the last living survivor, before her death on May 31st, 2009.

The other Exhibits should also have a Millvina Dean tribute posting, as well.

At the end of the Exhibit, Jason Tiller and I posted our thoughts; will let Jason share his thoughts, here, as well.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Right - here it goes.

As always, RMS Titanic Inc., knows how to put on an artifact exhibition that respects the ship, her passengers and crew, and this time was no different. It is in a wonderful facility, located right by the Saint Lawrence River which is most appropriate.

Before entering the exhibition, you get to have your picture taken in front of the Grand Staircase, which must be a recent addition (not an actual model of the staircase however, as it is really a green wall) and you can view it at the end of the exhibition, and purchase copies if you wish. The exhibition is in both French and English. There are over 200 artifacts and as John said, it is divided up over three floors. Some of the artifacts include the ship tools, the many banknotes and coins that belonged to the passengers, the floor tiles, the White Star Line china, including the OSNC cobalt spode; the 'Amy' bracelet, Captain Smith's megaphone, Howard Irwin's belongings and Adolphe Saalfeld's perfume vials. As usual in other exhibitions, there was music playing throughout that reflected the time period.

My only gripe was that RMSTI still lists the incorrect statistics for those lost and saved, but otherwise it is an excellent and well done exhibition, which includes as John noted, a wonderful tribute to Millvina.

They have a nice gift shop with the usual merchandise, t-shirts, posters, books, and replicas of paper items which have been recovered from the wreck, that have been framed with a photo of Titanic or the NYT headline of April 15. John and I purchased copies of our photo, which turned out very well.

We enjoyed it very much and were glad to be able to see it, while visiting in beautiful Quebec City. The exhibition is on until the end of the month.

Jun 10, 1999
Jason, many of the artifacts you mentioned I was able to view at the Las Vegas Tropicana exhibit, however, not the megaphone, which would have been a dissapoint to me anyhow. I will cherish the photograph, realeased by Time magazine's 1987 article "Treasures reclaimed from the deep", in which Nautile's suction cup has grasped the megaphone, seemingly mostly intact bearing it's red color. Were you able to make a tangible connection (touch) to the Titanic's whistle as I did in Las Vegas? BTW, I also had my picture taken on the Grand Staircase, as luck would have it, the actual model with the recovered "little cherub" on display near the base of the stair. I was taken aback with chills thruout the exhibit.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

Were you able to make a tangible connection (touch) to the Titanic's whistle as I did in Las Vegas?

No, not this time around, Michael, as the whistles were not there. However, I did get up close and personal with them at the artifact exhibition that was in Toronto from September 1999 - February 2000, which I worked at. Tarn took a picture of me with them, which is a cherished memory.​

Status
Not open for further replies.