Queen Elizabeth Last Voyage NY 10281968

Sep 2, 2009
Since I have been absent from the list for a long time I will now share a series of images from my personnel collection of the Queen Elizabeth leaving New York for the Last time on October 28, 1968 for Southampton, England

Starboard Side Bow Image 10/28/1968
S. Anderson Collection 2005
99044.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
A third image is of the Queen Elizabeth leaving on her final Voyage from New York and Backing out into the Hudson River with various tugs

99050.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
A another image is of the Queen Elizabeth leaving on her final Voyage from New York and Backing out into the Hudson River with various tugs.

S. Anderson Collection, 2005
99053.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Now to get on to some better images - The Queen Elizabeth on her final Trans-Atlantic Voyage in the Hudson River.

99056.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
And Finally the best image in the collection - The Queen Elizabeth leaving on her Final Trans-Atalantic Voyage on October 28, 1968 sailing down the Hudson for the last time.

Please note here tying out pennant is clearly visible in this image along with all the signal flags. However due to the size limits this image is not as clear as the original.

99059.jpg

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I have now added a button that will allow members to upload oversize images. The form uploads the picture and provides you with a link to paste into your message.

Size limits for embedded images will remain so as not to distort the pages but this will give you the option of including a much larger version if you would like to.

The usual terms of use apply. To material uploaded onto ET.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Steve, Thank you for posting these pictures of the Queen Elizabeth leaving New York for the last time.It is quite ironic of you posting these pictures of the Queen Elizabeth leaving New York for the last time because very soon the Cunard Line Ships which are the Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2 will no longer dock at the West Side of Manhattan Piers which are Piers 88,90 and 92 on the Hudson River,whenever these 2 ships are in New York.The QE2 and QM2 starting next April will then start to dock at Pier 12 in Brooklyn across the East River from Lower Manhattan.That means that the last Cunard crossing from Manhattan to Southampton will be aboard the Queen Mary 2 on Nov.1,2005 and arriving in Southampton on Nov.7,2005, and the last Cunard crossing from Southampton to Manhattan will be aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2 on Jan.3,2006 and arriving in Manhattan on Jan.9,2006 and finally the last Manhattan call of the Cunard Line will be on Jan.15,2006 when the Queen Mary 2 leaves Manhattan for her South American Cruise.I'm not happy at the decision of the Carnival Corp. to dock the Cunard Line Ships in Brooklyn starting next April but me being the average Joe really don't have any say in the matter.At least next January 9,2006 I will have one final sailing from the West Side of Manhattan down the Hudson River aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2 for the start the 2 week Cruise through the Panama Canal and then on to Los Angeles to see the Queen Mary in Long Beach.The sailings from the West Side of Midtown Manhattan are interesting because you do get to see historic sites.Such as Pier 59 where the Titanic was to haved docked and Pier 54 where the Carpathia docked carrying the victims of the Titanic tragedy and where the Lusitania left from for the last time in 1915.You don't get to see these Piers 54 and 59 sailing from Brooklyn.All you get from sailing from Brooklyn is a distant view of the Statue of Liberty and when the ship sails under the Verrazano Bridge.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

the Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2 will no longer dock at the West Side of Manhattan Piers which are Piers 88,90 and 92 on the Hudson River,whenever these 2 ships are in New York.

I haven't heard about that. Do you have any more information as to why Carnival decided to change piers?

Sep 2, 2009
Phil, Thanks for the information I will try to get a better scan for posting of the last image with the pennant as all the passengers can also be seen on the stern.

The problem as Jim and others must be aware is the the original photographic images I am working with are about the size that they show up on the computer screen to begin with, and then they usually also glued into souvenir scrapbooks and need to be removed and protected.

It also seems back in the 50's and 60's the standard 4 x 6 of 5 x 7 format just wasn't used. As many of the images are the same size as the negative's (if they are even available)

To get a good electronic image you need to scan at a high resolution and enlargement factor, this in turn creates a JPG that is 1.9Megs as in the case of the last image but what an image.

Then in my case you need to find the actual photo / negative again once I have scanned it as it was placed in storage for safe keeping.

Also most of the photo images I am looking to are of an earlier time period. But this collection goes nicely with the other first voyage images.

I have a lot of Queen Mary Last voyage images also but the copyright or if the image is an original copy is questionable so I have not posted them.

I am working now on a large scrapbook with many images of my favoraite liner Aquitania full of images taken by travelers in 1928.

Also as other's like Jim must be aware people tended to take pictures of all the other liners in the harbour at the same time so there are many other images of the Majestic and Beringeria.

Why couldn't they get in a plane and get me an image of all three at the same time?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Jason, Carnival Corp. decided to change piers from Piers 88,90 and 92 on the West Side of Manhattan to Pier 12 in Brooklyn because Carnival Corp. was unhappy of the not too great condition those 3 piers were in.The City of New York did assist Carnival Corp. in getting use of Pier 12 in Brooklyn and at the same time New York City would start to renovate Piers 88,90 and 92.New York City already lost Royal Caribbean International which owns Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and Celebrity Cruise Line to Bayonne,New Jersey because Royal Caribbean International too was unhappy at the conditions of Piers 88,90 and 92.The dock in Bayonne,New Jersey where the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ships now dock at are located across New York Harbor from Pier 12 in Brooklyn where not just Cunard but also the ships of Princess and P&O will dock at whenever those ships are in New York.I have read on another message board that concerning Cunard,Carnival Corp. wanted the Brooklyn move of Cunard to only be temporary so that once the renovations of Piers 88,90 and 92 are completed in a few years time,Carnival would want to return the Cunard Ships to Piers 88,90 and 92.But for some reason the City of New York said no and Carnival Corp. went along with New York City's decision.I'm not too sure about this but from what I have heard is that Carnival Corp. owned Holland-America Line and Carnival Cruise Line will continue to dock at Piers 88,90 and 92 in Manhattan while Carnival Corp. owned Cunard,Princess and P&O will have to dock in Brooklyn as of next April.The only sure thing I know is that Cunard,P&O and Princess will definitely dock at Pier 12 starting next April.If that is true that Carnival Corp. owned Holland-America Line and Carnival Cruise Line are to continue to dock on the West Side of Manhattan while renovations are going on I don't understand why Carnival Corp. will dock some of their ships in Brooklyn and some of their ships in Manhattan.Well anyway here is a link to this website www.worldshipny.com and you will see a picture taken last week that already the P&O Ship Oriana already had to dock at Pier 12 in Brooklyn because there was no room for her at the West Side of Manhattan piers.The Oriana was on her North American cruise with British passengers have just crossed over from Southampton,England and since no passengers were embarking or disembarking because Pier 12 is not ready for that service yet,the Oriana just docked there so that the British passengers could then leave the ship to go sight-seeing in Manhattan.Just scroll doen on that website and you will see the picture of Oriana docked in Brooklyn.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Interesting information there, Jerry. I'm disappointed that Carnival Corp has made that decision, but I can't understand the City of New York's reasoning as to why Carnival Corp wouldn't be allowed to return to the piers, once they were repaired. I would have thought that the city would have said yes immediately, considering that they would want to keep up the ship traffic that docks on the Manhattan side. It's a shame, really.

Thanks for the information and the link. I'm aware of that website, which is an informative one with a lot of great images.

Sep 2, 2009
A couple of images of various Cunard Travel agency Artwork of the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary that I have in my collection.

Given the size of some of these items I have run out of wall space and have a lot of these items in storage in the closet.

Queen Elizabeth / Queen Mary "Getting there if Half the fun" series mid 1950's

99210.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Another rarer Cunard Travel Agency Artwork for the Queen Elizabeth / Queen Mary.

The problem with a lot of these piece's of Travel agency artwork that I find they all have condition issues as in most cases they were hung on a wall in a smoking office or in direct sunlight do they tend to be dirty and sun bleached.

Queen Elizabeth / Queen Mary C. mid 1950's
99213.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Phil Et. All:

I have had time to find the Queen Elizabeth leaving New York for the Last time original image and scan it again.

I have now uploaded it in the new oversized format I think you will enjoy this image a lot better that you can see it and the final voyage Pennant.

View Image

Sep 2, 2009
This image is also much better when you blow it up as you can also see the final voyage pennant in this image also.

You can also see that the Queen Elizabeth's paint in areas was in bad shape with a lot of rust showing.

Also this is a true piece of history as here can be seen is her Captain giving her "final" salute on her whistles to the City of New York.

This goes great with the image of her "first" salute that I also have in my collection and posted in the maiden voyage thread.

View Image