Queen Mary 2 2006 Voyages

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Queen Mary 2 has already announced its early 2006 schedule: New York to Los Angeles, via Cape Horn, as well as some segments of that voyage.

I'm looking forward to seeing the ship dock in Los Angeles, and will be aboard for a Hawaii Excursion; just need to convince four friends, including "Major Arthur Peuchen" to join me.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I do not think that the QM2 will ever do a world cruise because she is too large for the Panama Canal.I do believe that the QE2 will continue to do the world cruise for the next several years and when the QE2 is retired,the Queen Victoria will then take over on the world cruise circuit.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"...just need to convince four friends, including "Major Arthur Peuchen" to join me"

Sounds like a great voyage, John! As much as I want to, I can't commit right now, but I will definitely try to make this trip.

Jun 20, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I've been wondering about a world cruise. I would've loved the QM2 to come to Sydney as well to see her in person. Are you based in Sydney, Daniel? The QE2 is scheduled to be docked in Circular Quay from the 8th to the 10th of February if you're interested in seeing her. I'm planning on going down there to take some photos for my collection.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I think that Cunard will, eventually, have the QM2 do a World Cruise. They will probably have one Caribbean port stop, then do the South America ports (to compensate for having to go around Cape Horn).
From there, they can head to LA, then do Honolulu and on to Sydney, before proceeding back to Southampton. We'll see. This will probably be in late 2007 or 2008.

BTW, Daniel, Desiree, et al:
"HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!"
(January 26, 2005)

"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda, with me!!"
grin.gif

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Gday there Desiree , im at Jervis bay on the South Coast.The QE2 is a great ship and i did a 7 nighter on her in 2001.
Thanks John for the Aus/Day wishes
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Interesting note: at Los Angeles' Ports of Call facility, an artist has painted a mural of the area, highlighting the area, with its local attractions, and an image of Downtown LA and the local mountains.

Included in the mural is an image of the Queen Mary 2 (the name clearly noted), with the ship out on the Pacific Ocean, as a "Coming Soon" feature.

I'll have to get some pictures of the mural, and the image of the Queen Mary 2 (312 days until February 22nd, when the ship completes her "Path of Magellan" Excursion).

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here are the images of the QM2 mural, at LA Harbor's Ports of Call Facility.
The mural is located near Berth 79, close to the Crusty Crab Restaurant, and some of the local food sellers.

95708.jpg

As you can see, the mural is still being worked on. I was not able to get a good "looking accross" shot, as it was a busy Sunday afternoon; a lot of vehicle traffic prevented a quick shot.

The QM2 is in the upper left-side of the mural:
95709.jpg

And an improved picture of the ship:
95710.jpg

It does not show up very well here, but the name Queen Mary 2 is prominent on the bow.
The only thing missing is Jason and I waving to everyone.
grin.gif

Now we here in LA will await the following dates, in 2006:
1. February 22nd (428 days to go): the Queen Mary 2 arrives at the end of her "Path of Magellan" trek; she leaves for her Mexico cruise that afternoon;
2. February 25th (431 days to go): the ship returns from her 4-day Mexico Cruise; at 5;00 PM, the ship sets sail for her Hawaii Excursion; and
3. March 8th (444 days to go): the ship returns from Hawaii.

ENJOY!!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
This weekend I'll also check to see where the good vantage points are, to Berth 79, so that I can be near the mural shot, when I watch the Queen Mary 2's February 22nd (2006) arrival in LA.

BTW, Jason: yes, I will be thinking "Three days from now, I'll be boarding her, for the Royal Hawaiian Excurion".
grin.gif

Adam Usher

Oct 26, 2004
I dont know much about the present day ships and i probably dont know many of the details about the Titanic, but either way i am interested.

Does any body know if the QM2 would ever do the run that Titanic set out to do, Southampton to New York. If not, are there any other liners that do this?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Queen Mary Two was designed to do the North Atlantic run and is...as far as I know...the only liner that makes the Southampton to New York run on regularly scheduled basis. My understanding is that this service caters to something of a niche market. There isn't a whole lot of demand for it overall, but these is enough of a denand that the market could probably use a couple of extra hulls.

Adam Usher

Oct 26, 2004
thanks for that. Ideally, i would lyk to do that one day. I think it would be fascinating. Then i would go to the titanic museum. Not that i know much about it.

Do you know how fast the QM2 is? how long it would take to reach new york from southampton?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Adam, the QM2's top speed is almost 30 knots.The travel time from New York to Southampton is about 6 days.For instance just last Friday April 22nd she left New York and she will arrive in Southampton next Thursday April 28th.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Adam, last year Jason and I were on the Queen Mary 2, for the inaugural Southampton to New York Excursion; it was a great crossing, even with heavy and rough seas (and getting stuck in an elevator). Its hard to believe that it is now a little more than a year since the crossing, and arrival in New York City.

I know I'm looking forward to a future crossing (most likely after some friends of ours retire, so that we can do a foursome/fivesome).
Yes we need to save up both our vacation times and our funds.
wink.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hello John
I'll be there, on Feb 22, to board QM2 for her Mexico cruise. See you there! It will be very exciting, her maiden call to my home port, and I'll be a part of it.

The word is that QM2 will do the 2007 world cruise. QM2 crew on board are openly talking about it. There is no intinerary yet.
Queen Victoria is to take over in 2008. Hopefully this does not mean the end for QE2. I hope she continues doing Med. and European cruises for many years. Currently the stage in the Grand Lounge is being rebuilt, and other refurbishments planned. This is a good sign for her.

Kyle

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
In a previous thread, it was stated:
quote:

I know I am now going off the subject but I do get these electronic news of the cruise industry via my e-mail.These news articles are written by Maritime Historian Bill Miller and in the latest articles Bill writes concerning the QM2 and the problem with one of her pods is that repairs to the QM2's pod will be done at the end of the year in the ship's routine drydocking,and that no further cancellations are planned.Well I do hope that is the case concerning the QM2 and that John Clifford and Jason Tiller do enjoy their QM2 cruise to Hawaii and that Kyle enjoys his QM2 cruise to Mexico.And of course when I'm aboard the QE2 next January it will be great to see the QE2 and QM2 in port at Fort Lauderdale,Florida on January 10,2007.

First off, it will be great to see Jason Tiller on the QM2 cruise to Hawaii; am glad to see he was able to secure a booking as well.

I contacted Cunard last Saturday; the sales representative assured me that the ship is on schedule to make the February 22nd arrival in Los Angeles. This was after the staff at the Queen Mary said that the QM2 was delayed, and was set to arrive in Los Angeles on February 23rd, in the afternoon.

The Cunard representative told me that if there were to be any delays or schedule changes for the Mexican Riviera Cruise and the Royal Hawaii Excursion that we would have been notified.
I'll probably re-check the scheduled arrival time of the Queen Mary 2, as February 22nd nears.

If anyone is going to be on the final leg of the QM2 "Path of Magellan" Trek, from Valparaiso (Chile) to Los Angeles, you'll be certainly able to spot me when the ship arrives at the Port of LA. I'll probably be the most enthusiastic greeter, waiting at Ports of Call, as Homeland Security, the Coast Guard and the LAPD Port Police will probably take a dim view of buzzing the ship in a chase boat (and with my luck the chase boat would end up in the same predicament as the Curacoa; not good).
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Concerning the repairs to the QM2's pod,The May 5,2005 cruise of the QM2 to the Mediterrean has been cancelled so that the QM2 can go to the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg,Germany so that the damaged pod can be removed but the pod when its repaired will not be attached back to the QM2 until November of this year when the QM2 has to return to the same shipyard at that time to have the pod re-attached.You can read the information here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/message/86134