Queen Mary 2 Coming to Los Angeles

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here's a link from the Cunard website:
http://www.cunard.com/AboutCunard/NewsReleases.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=5497&Active=News
This is a news release mentioning how on Wednesday, February 22nd, the Queen Mary 2 will arrive for the first time at the Port of Los Angeles (we'll see if local dignitaries, such as LA Mayor Antonio Villaragosa and port area Councilwoman Janice Hahn, sister of the former mayor, will come down to the Port to greet the Queen Mary 2).
As the ship passes the outer harbor of Long Beach, a special greeting will be given by the Queen Mary 2, in honor of her predecessor berthed nearby. The special salute is set for 7:00 AM, as the ship approaches the Port of Los Angeles, and at 5:00 PM, after the Queen Mary 2 departs for a 3-day cruise to Ensenada and the Mexican Riviera.

When the Queen Mary 2 sounds her horn, it can be heard up to ten miles away, according to Cunard. I'll be waiting to see the Queen Mary 2 arrive at the Port of Los Angeles; will have to "stake out a spot" at the nearby Ports of Call. The Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles are about 5 miles apart, so I should be able to hear the Mary 2's horn when it is sounded.

K

Kyle Johnstone

I'm staying on the Queen Mary in Long Beach the night prior to QM2's arrival, and I'll be on the aft decks with my camera as QM2 approaches. There had better not be one of those Carnival ships there, ruining the effect!
I'm then going to jump in my car and race over to Ports O Call, the best place to see her arrive.
See you there!

Oh yeah, I'll be sailing on QM2 that day, and I'll be photographing the QM from QM2. Should be nice!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Kyle, when you "high-tail" it to Ports of Call, on February 22nd, be sure and look for the mural of San Pedro, with the image of the Queen Mary 2 arriving. I will try to stake out a spot nearby, to see the Queen Mary 2 arrive. I'll have to wear a Titanic t-shirt that morning, so we can greet the ship's arrival, together.

I will not be at the Port of Los Angeles that afternoon, to see the Queen Mary 2 leave for Ensenada, but I will try to be at the Port of Los Angeles when the ship returns on Saturday; you'll have to watch out for the most enthusiatic greeter. My thought at that time will be that "I'll board the ship that afternoon"!! I can always sleep in for several days after the ships departs for Hawaii.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Tonight I watched the Queen Mary 2 set sail on its Mexican Riviera Cruise; my vantage point was at the open air patio at Ports of Call, Berth 78 area. There was a good crowd gathered to watch as the ship sailed by; everyone was thrilled to see the ship pass by, as we waved to the passengers lining the decks of the Queen Mary 2.

Many of these people will probably be back on Saturday, to see the ship depart on her Hawaii Excursion. I'll be watching the viewing areas to see how many people are waving good-bye as we set sail for Hawaii. There were a few of us who watched the ship tonight, but know we'll be on board this Saturday.

I also stopped by to see the ship docked at the Port of Los Angeles. It is quite a sight to stand looking straight up at her.
I was also making it a point to note where my cabin, for the Hawaii Excursion, is located (my speculation is three decks directly below the C-U-N-A-R-D sign).

If anyone wishes to see the ship sail, or come down to see her after she returns from the Mexico cruise, there is a public viewing area set up by the
World Cruise Terminal. There are signs to direct you to the viewing area,
which is accessed off of Harbor Blvd. You can get off on to Harbor Blvd. from both directions of the Vincent Thomas Bridge; heading south on I-110, the Harbor Freeway, one can transition on to the Vincent Thomas Bridge, eastbound direction, but get off at Harbor Blvd. before heading over the bridge, though if one chooses to go over the Bridge, the first exit on Terminal Island will allow you to do a roundabout and proceed back to the
Harbor. I did that route, as I wanted to see the Queen Mary 2 from the
Vincent Thomas Bridge; that's quite a sight, as the Queen Mary 2 cannot, like other ships, do a turnaround; she does not fit under the Bridge ( I noticed the traffic was eye-level with the top of the ship's funnel and two pods).

Other viewing areas available are at the LA Maritime Museum, and in areas of Ports of Call. The local Pilot House area was evacuated by the Coast Guard.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Hi John and Kyle, Kyle enjoy your QM2 cruise to Mexico and John enjoy your QM2 cruise to Hawaii.I wish I could be aboard but at least I was aboard the QE2 last month and I only have to wait 10 and a half months to go aboard the QE2 again.Why does it seem like the next 10 and a half months will seem like to be a very long time to January 8,2007? January 8,2007 is the date I board the QE2 again.