Queen Mary 2 models

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mike, for 40 years we were able to sleep safe in our beds because the Soviet Georgi Washingtov Class nuclear submarines used the Revell coil-spring missile launch system. But now you've given the game away!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, I could have said something about the huge rubber bands used for the catapults on our aircraft carriers, but that one's in a folder marked "SUICIDE BEFOR READING"

Markings like that discourage interest real quick for some reason.

S

Simon Edkins

I am planning to make a 3D computer model of the QM2. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get a set of scaled plans? The people who have created the models (Revell, Airfix, etc.) must have gotten them from somewhere.

Thanks for any help,

SImon Edkins

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I just purchased the Revell model and noticed that the stern deck 6 all around the Minnows Pool has instructions to paint the decking a different color than the other wood decks. Has anyone been on the QM2 that knows why? Is this not actually teak decking on this last deck? See the pictures.
111816.jpg

K

Kyle Johnstone

No, it's not teak.
I don't know what it is called, but it is that rubberized-like material.

Dec 3, 2005
I realize that this thread has been idle for quite some time, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried to float a 1:400 scale Revell QM2 model? I have an urge to modify one with the guts from a remote control speedboat to make a working QM2 model, but she looks like she'd be too top-heavy. Has anyone taken her for a swim?

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Hi Peter, I am sure with some ballast added she will sit upright.. I have built a 1/350 Bismarck & a 1/350 Yamato, these came with electric motors incase you wanted to motorize them, I did not. I still have the motors somewhere at home and u are welcome to them if u wish, i will never use them.

Dec 3, 2005
That sounds interesting. What are the specs on those engines and how much would you want for them if I decided to take you up on that? If it's not practical to send them here to the U.S. then I have my little speedboat engine and an idea to try something with an old 12-volt drill. I'm sure spectacular failure enters the equation there, so that's only for use if I can't make anything else work.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Peter, Sorry to throw a monkey wrench at you but how do you plan to drive the ship seeing it had PODS and NO Rudder? Do you plan to add a Rudder and a single prop shaft with one prop sticking out of the hull looking a bit strange?
I remember there was a big model of the SS France years ago which had a reduction gear assembly wit the kit that drove 4 Props from one input shaft
Just thought I would throw these questions at you. Good luck though
Cheers JWH

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Peter, You can have them mate(no cost), as i said, I won't use them. Just the postage from Australia, sent surface mail, as it will take u a while to build the ship...Dont have them with me currently I am at work but when i get home will see if I can find any specs relating to them - they are just the small electric motors similar to what you would probably find in a scalextric slot car, but they do have all the battery wires to make u life a bit easier, may need to look into gearing them... As Jon states above u will have to work out how u are going to "dodgy" up some sort of a rudder and shafts....

regards.

Dec 3, 2005
I have some scrap metal and an old blowtorch at home, so it would not be overly difficult to manufacture a bent propeller shaft connected by a universal joint. The plan was to make a propeller driven system, the number of props depending upon the number of engines that I can acquire and how many will fit inside the ship. I may also experiment with a system of gears by which one engine may drive multiple screws. The engines themselves would be angled so that the aft end pointed upward, pointing the propeller shaft upward as well. A universal joint would then redirect the shaft downward, and the whole shaft would be enclosed in metal tubing running from the aft end of the engine to the hull, with the bend in the shaft situated at a level above the waterline so as to prevent the stern from flooding. Rudders would be simple enough to make out of sheet metal and thick-gauge wire, connected to an appropriate actuator, which I have already.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Peter, You may be expecting too much from the model you are planning to build, Bent prop shafts with universal joints,etc, may be beyond the limits of a 3ft plastic model not designed to be motorised.
The parts I have include metal prop shafts, plastic propellors, battey connections, some thin plastic/rubber tubing, and some sort of a gear box. Please do whatever searches u can in relation to this, they are both from Tamiya kits and if u investigate long enough I am sure u can find some descripption of what is provided with these models. I am sorry I dont have a digital camera handy or I would post pictures of what is included.

We are probably verging on what should be discussed on the TRMA site so I will leave it at that....If u want to E-mail me privatly my address is [email protected] - and if u eventually get this thing to sail I am prepared to cover postage so long as u send me some photos of the finished product.....Hate to see things go to waste when others may use them...

regards.
Trev.

Dec 3, 2005
I'm sure that she'll get into the water...what happens after that, I don't know. I give a 15% chance she'll work perfectly. 40% chance she'll work, but with a few odd quirks in handling. 20% chance she'll work very awkwardly. 10% chance that she'll work somehow, but my seals will be inadequate and I'll be left standing on the shore like a fool while she disappears into the water. And 15% chance of catastrophic failure involving explosions and propellers being shot through my heart. Whatever happens, even if I don't take you up on the offer, I'll be sure to get some good pictures.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Here's a few more pics of a QM2 model. It's my next project. So far I've built the Titanic (twice, in different scales), Lusitania, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and the QE2.

[Moderator's Note: Edited links due to width requirements. JDT]