Queen Mary 2 safely arrives in New York

Feb 6, 2003
I'm sure you guys must have seen her on the news this morning coming into New York City. Gave her a great arrival didn't they.

Mar 3, 1998
I saw this in the news today:

quote:

Ninety-two years and eight days after another British ocean liner almost, but not quite, made it to New York on its maiden voyage, the Queen Mary 2 steamed through the Verrazano Narrows and up the harbor for the first time Thursday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't other British liners made it to New York since Titanic's foundering?

:)

Parks

Jan 29, 2001
And Parks:

She cleared the Verrazano bridge by a mere `12 feet!!!

Welcome to New York grande launcha...QUEEN MARY II

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Mar 28, 2002
Wasn't the funnel originally supposed to have been taller but they had to lower the height for the very same reason - to access New York under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge?

Cheers,

Boz

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The NYT link works for me, because I'm a registered user of the site. Others may need to register but that's no problem. I've never received any unwanted stuff from TNYT.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Iain,

I had read too that the funnel was originally taller but had to be cut down to make it under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The Seattle Times reported on Sunday:

That is, assuming the Queen Mary 2 makes it under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. If the Queen Mary 2 were to sail under at high tide, the clearance would be 13 feet. Indeed, the bridge influenced the shape of the ship. "It looks squat and a little bit dumpy, and that's because of the Verrazano," Miller said. "The funnel is flatter than it should be." From its keel to its black-and-red funnel, the ship is 236 feet tall.

(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2001906393_queenmary18.html)

-Trent

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't other British liners made it to New York since Titanic's foundering?<<

A few would seem to have made it. I guess the newsies just can't resist linking certain events to the Titanic.

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Although I realise sometime has passed since the QM2s maiden arrival in New York, does anyone recall one of the large US TV networks broadcasting their entire morning breakfast show from the ship, as she made her way up the Hudson river? I believe it may have been CBS or NBC, but I'm not too sure. Ideally, I would like to obtain a recording of this programme, if possible.

Thanks,
John

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I do remember that NBC's Today Show covered the maiden arrival of the QM2 on April 22,2004.I was there on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River watching the QM2 dock at Pier 92 across the river in Manhattan.The maiden arrival of the QM2 into New York did attract a lot of people on both sides of the Hudson River.Later I took the ferry to Manhattan and walked up to Pier 92 and there was a lot of people around the entrance to Pier 92.But the gate was locked due to security and we could only see the QM2 through the chain linked fence.However crossing the Hudson River on the ferry I did see the QM2's stern,superstructure and funnel towering above Pier 92.I do remember on that day it was a foggy morning but I was able to see the QM2 sail through the fog and dock at Pier 92.When the QM2 sailed her maiden voyage from Sothampton,England to Fort Lauderdale,Florida in January 2004,that voyage was covered by ABC's Good Morning America.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I do apologize for mis-spelling Southampton and one last comment about the QM2 is that since April of last year the Cunard dock in New York is now in Brooklyn at Pier 12 no longer the West Side of Manhattan Piers 88,90 and 92.Meaning that when the QM2 sails into New York and the few times a year the QE2 sails into New York,both ships dock at Pier 12 in Brooklyn.Though next January 13,2007 it is rumored that when all 3 Cunard Queens are in New York,QE2 and Queen Victoria will dock at the West Side of Manhattan,but the QM2 will still dock in Brooklyn.

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Thanks Jerry. This is most helpful. As you say, it was certainly a memorable day for the passengers aboard the ship, and for those watching from the banks of the river. It was a pity the conditions were rather foggy though.

John