Queen Mary 2 what do you think

Ian Goggin

May 27, 2008
I traveled on the Queen Mary 2 last summer on a transatlantic voyage between southampton and New York and i think it was the most fantastic thing i have ever been lucky enough to travel on. I totally disagree with the idea that it is not a "classic" liner. The interior design is contemporary yet has a language of the great art deco liners of the 30s, the staff still where the Cunard uniform, white gloves and all when serving afternoon tea. The music on board still evokes the early swing bands and classical quartets of old, tea is still served on the promenade deck, fancy cocktails are still served in the bars. The passengers drink out of Waterford Crystal glasses and eat off Wedgewood china, all stamped with the Cunard ensign. This ship oozes with classic charm yet stands its ground as a truly 21st century liner, unlike the god awful monstrosities commissioned by the likes of Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Of course there are features which let it down. For example the Kings Court, still the food is fantastic but the surroundings feel a little food hall like. However it is refreshing to have a break from the sumptuous luxury of the main dining room. Also, on the formal nights the beautiful main corridors leading to the dining room are spoiled by tacky photographers taking pictures in front of even tackier backdrops.
But over all the QM2 is a ship which recognises the charm of the early liners yet understands the needs of the 21st century traveler and i could confidently name her as a beautiful classic liner.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 18, 2003
New Jersey,USA
Ian, I agree with a lot of what you wrote in your post.I did a back2back crossing aboard the QM2 last October and I am doing another back2back crossing aboard the QM2 again next October.On the crossing back to New York next October the QE2 will be sailing with the QM2 for the crossing back to New York.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I too agree with you Ian. I was lucky enough to do a transatlantic crossing on her last year and it was one of the most amazing things that I have ever done. Some of the things on the ship I probably wouldn't have decorated the same way, such as the Winter Garden (Enchanted Tiki Room) or the plastic murals near the elevators on the main deck, but overall the ship is stunning while elegant which goes perfect with a tux or an evening gown.

Ian Goggin

May 27, 2008
I agree with your view on the murals, glass or brass would have been far more attractive. However i didn't really mind the winter garden, although it was hardly used at all during my voyage. Perhaps if they toned it down a bit it would be more appealing.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
In my own humble opinion, I think that the space occupied by the Winter Garden would be much better utilized as a second specialty restaurant. Most ships now have more than one. This would also be a revenue generator. I loved Todd English, but it was always booked solid on our trip. Also it must get monotonous on long voyages.
Not to break with tradition, Cunard could turn the underused Atlantic Room on the bow of the ship into the new Winter Garden.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Joe

I think that the QM2 must be getting close to needing refit, after 4 years. Maybe they'll do something like that when they refit her.

Plus, with the new QE coming in a couple of years, they can take all their learnings from the QM2 and the QV, and use that on the QE, then use the same learnings on the refit.

Hopefully

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
It's too bad that the Millennium has the Olympic's paneling (although they did a fabulous job with it in the restaurant) because it would be fitting on a Cunard(White Star) ship.
I agree Grant and I think that they're going to redo this space during the first major refit. An elegant pan-Asian restaurant or a high-end steak restaurant would be great there.