QUEEN MARY capsize close calls

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
During a storm In October 1944 while 400 miles west of Northern Ireland the Queen Mary was struck by a huge wave that laid her over toward her beam ends. At the time she was carrying 10-15,000 troops to Europe. It was later stated that she was 10 degrees/cms(?) form capsizing.
It would have been fast and probably the only thing that admiralty would have known was that the ship had disappeared with over 15,000 souls aboard. During foul weather at sea all "passengers" would have been kept inside.

Does anyone know any more about this or any other close calls?

I know that before 1939 she rolled dangerously with the English author Paul Gallico onboard and he made this the basis for his book THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, ref the film also.

cheers

Martin

May 8, 2001
Hello Martin. Welcome. 10 degrees? I thought for certain that I read TWO degrees from capsizing, but it has been a while since reading this passage. I have in mind at least one more close call, but I will have to get the times and dates first. Maybe if we are really good Bill or Eric Sauder will post.
Colleen

Jan 7, 2002
Ive seen pictures taken on the deck of the old France (1912), and for some reason the France rolled even in calm seas- i wonder how she would have fared in a storm?

regards
Tarn Stephanos

Status
Not open for further replies.