Queen Mary Remembered

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2001
On October 30, 1967, the 1019'6", 81,000 ton Queen Mary slowly set out on her final voyage to come to my home state of California after the city of Long beach agreed to purchase her for 3.45 million dollars. The ships career, which among its proud achievements had been helping to shorten the war by at least a year, carrying over 16000 troops, and a 14 year Blue Riband holder, had come to a sad end. (There were a few Titanic survivors that settled almost within view of her. I wish I knew how they felt about seeing her out there lit up at night.)
I am sure she is missed, and fondly remembered by all who built her, worked on her, sailed on her, went to war on her, had a baby on her,(there were 4) and grew up with her on their lovely Southampton countryside, so I say my remembrance with mixed feelings. Sadness that her glorious days as a top rate passenger liner are gone, but happiness that she is still around to admire, and has graced my shore since before my birth. I have been on this ship in good times and bad. Waddling with baby, pushing a stroller, pushing a wheelchair, walking hand in hand with my husband on a cool breezy night on a ship we appeared to have all to ourselves, and most recently, getting to meet with my dear E.T. friends. It is fitting that my daughter shares this birthday with her.

I take a moment to think of a little tender called the Nomadic that brought passengers, famous and common, young and old, out to her who is struggling to remain a fixture. May we succeed in her future.

Last but not least, I take a moment to think of your mom Inger, who was on this ship, on this day so many years ago celebrating her life.

May she stand as a symbol and have many more days for many others to tell their story about the last of the "Great Liners", and see the day that her namesake, the Queen Mary 2 sits upright along side at her home port of Long Beach. (With Captain Wood proudly in command!)

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Colleen - Many thanks for that lovely note :) I'm going to speak to my mother down in Oz tomorrow and will ask her to scan that photo for you - she's a gorgeous, elegant lady, dressed in the height of 60's chic, and I've always rather loved that shot of her.

Might see if I can convince Dad to dig up and scan the shot of him standing front row centre with the media hacks at the launch of the Oriana while I'm at it!

~ Ing

Jun 10, 1999
Hello Colleen:

Thank you for such heartfelt thoughts on the QUEEN MARY. I am always thankful for living just a "quaint" eight hour drive from her permanent berth. (BTW, the flight time from RENO to L.A. is only 1 1/2 hr. but I may never fly again :-(

My first visit (I spent an entire 9 hrs!) to MARY I could not wait to get up to the bridge
where upon my visit to the starboard wing I was temporairily overcome with emotion...reflecting thoughts of Murdoch. There was a wonderful model ship display aboard which included a large scale (smaller than Pierone's yet much large than Minicraft) illuminated model of Titanic. I was to later borrow the idea for my REVELL Titanic illuminted model.

Something else interesting. On this same visit to Mary and Los Angeles in 1987 I was to purchase TNLO ( I designated my then girlfriend driver for the rest of our holiday, cause I was capulated with Lord's addendum to ANTR ). Anyhow I discovered the photograph of O'dell alongside one of Titanic's funnels therin TNLO. Subsequently on my second-visit to Mary...I handed my big Sister the camera, jumped over a barrier, scaled a bullwork and landed aside a Queen Mary funnel as my Sister shouted..."Michael what are you doing?" I replied..."Just hurry up and take a picture, I'll explain it later!"
:)

Later in the day my Sister was to be taken aback below decks with the engine room. Ah and the look on her face when she saw that beautiful screw adorning the parking lot...:)

The men who forged Queen Mary together must have been proud with the satisfaction that the $250,000 bounty put on her head (or should I say hull) by Hitler, during her "Grey Ghost" tenure, was never to be collected by a U-Boat Kapitan.

Regards,

Michael Cundiff
Nevada

Dec 31, 2000
I rather enjoyed your QM tribute. Thank you for sharing it.
I was thinking of doing some searching for more info on the QM as the pictures ya'll have posted from your Titanic meets there have made me thirst for more.
I was telling Teri that her and I would have to go and do the ghost tour, it looks to be great fun. Being an east coaster, I will have to book a room and spend a few nights.
happy.gif
Just the thought makes me smile.

B
happy.gif

May 8, 2001
If you are interested in the Queen Mary, and traveling so far, you have to go and actually stay on her overnight. You want to talk about the feel of being there in her "time", well that is IT! After all the tourists and bustle is over, and it is just a quiet evening, you can explore til your hearts content. We searched the ship until our feet almost fell off, and I touched every panel, light, rail, glass, and plaque that I could. (It sounds silly, but they were doing some refitting, and we actually touched up above the wiring). I'm just sorry that it took us so long to stay on her!
Looking forward to meeting you!
Colleen

Dec 31, 2000
Colleen,

That is most likely how I will feel when I do get to come aboard. It will be an event of a lifetime for me, one I will never forget.

Cheers!

B
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.