Queen Mary what's her conditionstatus these days

G

Guest (R17)

How is the Queen Mary these days condition wise ? Does she make a profit as a hotel or venue for various functions or is the cost of maintaining such a huge ship proving to get in the way..I also wondered if it would ever be possible to make her sea worthy again or is she now beyond this — again I wonder if she would make a lot of profit if she were to be made sea worthy and sent on Caribbean cruises ! Imagine going on a 28 day cruise round the world on the Queen Mary to all the sunny places the the modern day liners go to ! That would be cool — no ? Or maybe the cost of such a task would not be worth the while of her owners.
happy.gif

G

Guest (R17)

Also what happened to QE1 ? She was huge ! Yet last I saw of her was on an old James Bond film looking like a very small pityful wreck. Maybe there is more under the water..... Is she still in Hong Kong ? Wonder what there is to see under the water - if anything ! That ship would make the Titanic look like a tug... Let alone the Mauretania!. I know she was burnt - but that ship was so large - there's got to be something there..

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
My parents stopped on the QM1 in September 2001 (bad time for a holiday
sad.gif
) - they said that it was filthy.

QE1 is no longer in Hong Kong harbour. I was told a story a few years back on the old Titanic mailing list that, when they came to build a new bridge from Kowloon to the island, the keel of the QE1 was so strong it resisted attempts at the time to cut it up, so the bridge was made with a kink, as a detour round the keel.

Today, theres nothing left...

Cheers

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

G

Guest (R17)

How can there be nothing left of such a big ma ma of a ship tho ? There must be something there !Did they dismantle and move it all then ? If it is no longer in Hong Kong harbour it must have gone somewhere.....

So Queen Mary is filthy - that's a shame. I wonder what the cost is for keeping such a huge ship, maybe it is proving hard to make a profit and up hold maintenance !

I'd be sure the Queen Mary would be a listed ship !

Mar 28, 2002
It didn't look so bad a mere week ago. All the public areas were clean and spruced up. We did, however, note that the top of the screening in front of the Observation Bar could do with all the bird**** cleaning off it. Aside from that it was in great shape.

G

Guest (R17)

But what about her ever going to sea again ? Maybe it is possible but highly unlikely for cost reasons.

And if anyone knows what actually happened to the QE1 I'd be quite interested to know
happy.gif

Jul 11, 2001
Hey Boz! Welcome back! Ah! so you did make it over to the Mary! Did you stay over night on her? I had a stateroom M-130. The The Firstclass lounge and Main dining room seemed in perfect shape.

David Smith

Jul 11, 2001
Miles, The Queen Mary will never sail again. when she arrived in Long Beach her Boilers and forward engine room was removed to make space for a convention center. The double-bottom was filled with solid ballast to weight her down and the Ballast tanks flooded with water. She is officially classified as a "building" now. My big question is how do they maintain the hull under water?

David Smith

G

Guest (R17)

But could you not un-do this ? Put a new engine room in. I'm not sure what ballast is. But could that not be sorted out also. I know all of this would prob cost a lot. And I wonder if she makes a good profit for what she is ! They sorted the Great Britian out and although smaller that was in pretty bad shape !

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon David,

Yep, we got to the Queen Mary - eventually, after a long standby at San Francisco for LAX and we did stay on board - stateroom B-444, port side. Lovely. I was very impressed and there were no disasters to speak of. Except maybe the Carnival Pride, which pulled up behind us in the night.

However, I did not sleep very well at all on board on account of massive banging noises and thuds and crashes like someone had fallen through the stateroom door blind drunk. Not enough to wake anyone else though - "What the f*** was that?!? Did you hear it?!?". "Mumble mumble...yes dear...go back to sl...mumble mumble..."

Cheers,

Boz

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
oooohhhhh.... could be one of the ghosts on board! heh heh

Seriously, how easy is to get from San Fran airport, or LAX to the Queen Mary (without risking life and limb driving)?

Cheers

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Dec 6, 2000
San Francisco Airport to the QM? About an 8 hour drive, if I remember correctly!

You can get a shuttle bus from LAX to the QM, I've done it before. Takes maybe about an hour or so?

Mar 28, 2002
Took us about 45 minutes on a shared minibus from LAX. That was because we went via God-knows where to drop this prima donna off who didn't even know where she was going.

Jul 11, 2001
Paul, We rented a car at LAX and it still took us at least a half hour due to the infamous LA traffic.

Boz, I did notice the walls were pretty thin between the rooms. LOL. I thought the ship was pretty erie at night. Especially walking around the lower decks.

David Smith

Jul 11, 2001
I have a few pics from my trip to post, but don't have a way to resize them to upload here on ET. Can anybody here post them if I e-mail them to you?

David Smith

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I live about 15 miles from the Queen Mary, and have visited her many times in the last 10 years (and will admit never until 1990; one of the drawbacks to living near an attraction, the "I can see it anytime" response, aka "I never go there"
cry.gif
).

Anyway, there is always an area of the ship that needs maintenance or cleaning. Whether it is "bird stuff" on the side of the ship, to the decks needing to be restained/replaced, or less than adequate water pressure in the showers, the maintenance people are always busy.

Many people in THS will remember, in 1997, going down to the Farewell Banquet, held in the Grand Salon, and seeing water running down the staircase; that made for many a "nice touch of realism" or "great special effect" comment.
smile.gif

Also, regarding cabin noises, in 1997, one extremely gracious Lady noted that she had some rather noisy neighbors in the next cabin, which made it hard for her and her friend to sleep. Fortunately, the offending parties were gone the next night; otherwise, I'll bet, three individuals would have complained loudly, on behalf of the Lady.

For me, I've stayed there overnight on two occasions, and would now prefer to stay at another venue instead, presuming that I decide it's better not to drive home. For next month, I'm seriously thinking or staying at the next door West Coast Hotel for at least two nights, when I meet up with the BTS Odyssey Group.

As far as the ship's status, "She is not going anywhere". The way she is now buoyed, she would tip over if her supports were now removed. A lot of the work done on her has mad her "top-heavy". That information was stated to me during one of the guided tours (around the time some speculated the ship would be taken to Japan and refitted).

The ship also serves not only as a tourist attraction and hotel, but also as a venue for various film and television projects. There have been some TV and film scenes where portions of the ship were used to shoot scenes that were not even supposed to be on ships. Historian Ron Smith gave at least one lecture about the many times the ship was used in films and TV projects. The most famous ones, of course, were "Assault On A Queen" and "The Poseidon Adventure".

A few of us noted, though, that there were overlooked projects, such as the opening credit scenes of the 1998 version of "The Parent Trap", and "SOS Titanic".

I also recently learned that the RMS Foundation operates the nearby Events Park, where many outdoor events are held. I checked on securing the Park for a Union-sponsored event, and was notified that the Park was booked for the rest of 2004; its proximity to the ship, and the Ocean, is a definite "plus" (especially during our late spring, summer, and early autumn, months).

The ship also hosts many a organization's gathering, especially down in the lower auditorium area. And that is separate from the many receptions and dances held on board.

The Queen Mary will, therefore, always belong to the City of Long Beach and the RMS Foundation.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Boz, sorry we not able to meet up when you were at the Queen Mary.
That week had been a somber one for me and my parents, though, as one of my cousins lost her husband (following a lengthy battle with cancer), and I was notified of the death of a gentleman whom I had sponsored when he chose to be fully confirmed as a Catholic, in 1996; his family, though, invited me to sit with them at the service, as my part in his faith journey was gratefully acknowledged.

Anyway, Boz,I hope you had a great time on the ship; will have to see you the next time you're in Southern California.

BTW, Boz, I can truly appreciate your experiences after arriving at LAX: on two occasions I used the Super Shuttle, and on one occasion wished that I had, instead, left my car at one of the Airport's long-term parking lots, so that I could pick it up, and drive straight home.
Even when people know where they are going, you can find yourself traveling all around the local areas.

David, you were lucky: there have been times when both the 405 and 710 Freeways have been an "absolute parking lot", when heading to the ship, from LAX.

Paul, my advice, though, is that flying to LAX is the most direct route. I don't have the schedules for flights to nearby Long Beach Airport, and those flights may be more infrequent.
Anyways, when in San Francisco, it is better to fly down here, and save some time (allowing for Airport security), and not risk the people who drive 80 - 100 MPH down Interstate 5 (which, along with Interstate 15 has "more than its share" of determined motorists and truckers).
If you do get to the Queen Mary for the Haunted Queen Mary, let me know, and we can meet up there.

Finally, David, I can resize and post your pictures, if you would like to email them to me.