Queen Victoria will now be a true ocean liner

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
The Cruise Ship Queen Victoria that Cunard was going to get next year will now instead next year go to P&O Cruises and she will now be called Arcadia.Cunard will now get a 85,000 ton panamax ship and on the Cunard website Cunard refers to this ship as being a new luxury ocean liner and her name will now be Queen Victoria and she will enter service in January,2007 and be built at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera,Italy.Cunard explains in this news story that the tremendous success of Queen Mary 2,particularly the demand for its suites and junior suites,has prompted Cunard Line to make these changes to its plans.The design of the new Queen Victoria will be more consistent with the grand ocean liner style of Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2,explained Pamela Conover,Cunard's president.I am glad that Cunard has come to its senses and now will build a second new ocean liner instead of a new cruise ship.Anyone else with an opinion on this news story. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Anyone else with an opinion on this news story.

It's great news. It will be great to see a new addition to the Cunard fleet. Pity it's going to be built in Italy, especially with the Queen Mary 2 having been made in France. I suppose some realism is needed, but it's a pity that the British shipbuilding industry seems to have lost the capacity to build such large ships.

Best regards,

Mark.

N

Nicolas Roughol

>Pity it's going to be built in Italy, especially with the Queen Mary 2 having been made in France.

It's just a matter of perspective. I'm glad QM2 was built at Saint-Nazaire
smile.gif

But of course I do understand how you feel about this.

Regardless of where she'll be built, it's nice to know that Cunard will have another true ocean liner in its fleet.

If QV were to share the transatlantic road with QM2, that would be even better...

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Nicolas!

Regardless of where she'll be built, it's nice to know that Cunard will have another true ocean liner in its fleet.

It is indeed. Let's hope that she will ape the QM2's success.

Best regards,

Mark.