Queen Victoriathe planned sister for Queen Mary 2

Feb 14, 2011
Its official, the next big ship to be built for Cunard/Carnival will be the Queen Victoria.

I will be sure to make her maiden voyage, as Im missing the Qm2's maiden voyage....

Tarn Stephanos

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Tarn, On my recent cruise aboard the QE2,I learned that the Queen Victoria's maiden voyage will be a mystery cruise.Did you know this fact and did you book yet? On this QE2 cruise I also learned that people could already book for the maiden voyage of the Queen Victoria by depositing $500. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
The newest rumor I have read is that Queen Victoria has been canceled and that Cunard may even put the Queen Elizabeth 2 into drydock for renovations that would then make her compliant with the new SOLAS regulations due to become law in the year 2010 so that the QE2 will continue sailing beyond 2010.David Dingle who is managing director of Carnival UK which is the parent company that owns Cunard is quoted as saying in this article in the Daily Echo which is Southampton's newspaper that it would not take a great deal of money to renovate the QE2 to make her compliant with the 2010 SOLAS regulations.you can read the article here www.dailyecho.co.uk/hampshire/southampton/shipping/SOTON_SHIPPING_NEWS6.html .The article is titled "New megaliner set to join P&O's fleet of five" and Mr. Dingle's comments concerning the QE2 are in the middle of the article.And I also read the rumor of the cancellation of Queen Victoria and the possible renovation of the QE2 in this newsletter that is e-mailed to me because I am a member of the World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society.Maritime historian Bill Miller wrote this newsletter to the W.O.&C.L.S. He also wrote in this article another rumor that two 30,000 gross ton cruise ships may be transferred from Princess to Cunard.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Jerry, you and I need to ask about the future plans, if any, for the Queen Victoria, during our 2006 voyages on the QE2 and QM2.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Jerry,

If Cunard has cancelled the Queen Victoria, then it puts a different spin on things. I hope the rumour is true for the QE2 and if it is, then it's excellent news for her. One of these days, I hope to travel on her again.

Thanks for the link, it was very informative.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I also checked the Cunard Website. That was where I found out about the future Around-the-World Excursion that the QM2 will be doing (see my post in the QM2 folder). No mention was made about a future ship; however, I did not see anything about abandoned plans.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
To John and Jason, I am sorry if I am a little late in my response you see my last post was yesterday at at 1:15 PM Eastern Standard Time and then I had to be at work at 3:00 PM for my 8 shift so I am answering your questions now.Jason and John,I read the rumours about Cunard cancelling the Queen Victoria and the possible renovations to the QE2 to make her compliant with the new 2010 SOLAS regulations,in a weekly newsletter that is e-mailed to me from the World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society and Maritime Historian Bill Miller does write these weekly newsletters for them.This particular newsletter is dated July 24,2005 but Mr.Miller has not mentioned any updates concerning the cancellation of Queen Victoria and the possible renovations to the QE2 in the next 2 newsletters dated July 31st and August 7th if there are any updates concerning Queen Victoria and the QE2 I'll let you know.Mr. Miller did state in his newsletter that these are rumours and we know that a rumour could be either true or false.It is my guess that Mr. Miller thinks these rumours may be true.Otherwise if he felt that they are false he would not have written them in his newsletter and in my opinion I do trust his judgement.As for Cunard not mentioning about the cancellation of Queen Victoria it is my guess that Cunard does not mention the cancellation of a shipbuilding in its website for some reason I can not think of.When I was aboard the QM2 last March they were still taking deposits from passengers who are interested in taking a cruise aboard the Queen Victoria and if Queen Victoria is cancelled these passengers can either get a refund or switch their booking to the QM2 or QE2.Just about almost a month ago Cunard did mail to my house its brochure for Cunard crossings and cruises in 2006 and on the inside back cover there is a advertisement for the Queen Victoria along with a picture of how the ship will look and if she is cancelled already,Cunard must have decided to cancel her after these brochures were printed.I am glad that I did post that link to the Daily Echo concerning the QE2 to show another source of information about making her compliant with the 2010 SOLAS regulations.John,when I'm aboard the QE2 next January I will ask questions concerning both the QE2 and Queen Victoria and I hope you will do the same when you are aboard the QM2 next February.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
John,when I'm aboard the QE2 next January I will ask questions concerning both the QE2 and Queen Victoria and I hope you will do the same when you are aboard the QM2 next February
Absolutely, Jerry. I will ask the people on the ship, especially if the Hawaii Excursion will include presentations by ship historians.

Also, I too want to say thanks for the additional information.

Finally, let us both hope that we win BIG in the Tri-State, Mega Million (CA) or Lotto jackpots, so we can take the QM2 Global Excursion; perhaps we can also secure a booking for "Toronto's Tourism Spokesman".
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hello,

William H. Miller is expected to be on QM2 for the Hawaii cruise. Perhaps by then there will be facts rather than rumors?

I, too, will be crossing on QE2 Jan. '03, and then QM2 for the three-night "West Coast Break".
I'll see some of you aboard...

BTW, isn't it a bit much to refer to Queen Victoria as a sister-ship to QM2? They will have absolutely nothing in common as ships except CUNARD on their superstructures. Additionally, I recall that when QV was first announced, Cunard stated that she will be marketed for the British cruise market, with cruises out of Southampton, much like when Caronia was with Cunard.
I don't think there will be by no means a Queen Mary/Queen Elizabeth sort of sisterhood here.
"Sisters" just seems like quite a stretch when refering to QM2 and QV.

Kyle

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Kyle, Are you going to stay aboard the QE2 when she arrives in New York on January 9,2006 for the N.Y. to L.A. segment of the World Cruise? You see that is when I will board the QE2.One thing that I think is interesting about the N.Y. to L.A. segment of the World Cruise is the day when the QE2 transits the Panama Canal on January 16th.Once the QE2 arrives in Los Angeles on January 23rd, I will then spend a few nights aboard the Queen Mary docked in Long Beach.I have read in the Cunard announcement that during the 2007 World Cruise both the QM2 and QE2 will meet in Fort Lauderdale,Florida and both Cunard Queens will sail out of that port together. I am interested in booking the QE2 for that segment of the 2007 World Cruise.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
John, I did check Bill Miler's website which is www.billmilleratsea.com and what Kyle said is true that Bill Miller will be aboard the QM2 for the Hawaii Cruise.Bill is the author of great ocean liner books concerning subjects like the history of British Ocean Liners,The S.S.United States and the Andrea Doria.Just this year he wrote a book about the Cunard Queens that I bought when I was aboard the QM2 last March.Bill will give interesting lectures when he is aboard ship.I was able to attend his lectures when Bill was aboard the QE2 in 2003.So when you are aboard the QM2 for the Hawaiian Cruise you will want to attend Bill's lectures about ocean liners and cruise ships.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Kyle, Jerry, thanks for the information. I will definitely be attending Bill Miller's lectures, while on the Queen Mary 2. His lectures will probably be during the days we're heading to and from the Islands.

Bill will also be on the Queen Mary 2's Westbound "Path of Magellan" Excursion.

BTW, Kyle, will you be coming down to LA Harbor/San Pedro on the morning of February 22nd, to see the Queen Mary 2 arrive for the first time? Or will you just head down to check in for the Mexico Cruise?

I'll be down for the former; will see the ship arrive, then head to work. It will be great to know that three days later I'll be boarding her for the Hawaii trip.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
An udpate: Bill Miller will be on both the Queen Mary 2's Mexico Cruise and the Hawaii Excursion.

Kyle, you and I will get to ask all the questions about the Queen Victoria's future.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi Jerry,

Last year after QE2's crossing I stayed on in NY for her Yuletide Caribbean Cruise.
This year, as the crossing is Jan. 3 instead of Dec. 15, I need to get back to work right after the crossing. So I'll be going directly to the airport.

Hi John,

I will be staying on the Queen Mary in Long Beach the night before QM2's arrival in L.A. You bet I'll get up and head over for her maiden arrival. It should be good. I'll then go back to check out of the Queen Mary so that I can then check into the Queen Mary! I think that many people are going to be staying on Queen Mary in Long Beach prior to and after their QM2 cruise.

You all might want to know this:
QM2 arrives back in LA on March 8 after her maiden Hawaii cruise. On March 9 the RMS Queen Mary Foundation and the Steamship Historical Society are honoring Commodore Warwick for a lifetime of achievment with Cunard Line at a dinner on the Queen Mary Long Beach. Many maritime notibles such as Bill Miller and Stephen Card will be speaking. Be there if you can for this evening of maritime and Cunard history!
(this also means that the commodore won't be taking QM2 eastbound back around the Horn to NY)

Kyle