Question about Criterion DVDs Making Of feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Somewhere in The Making Of feature in the Criterion DVD there is a brief video clip of an old woman, it is implied she was a survivor. The person being interviewed is talking about survivors they contacted either before the movie was made or before the book was written, I forget which. I've watched this thing again and again, I can't find where that part was. They never mention the woman's name, but she looked familiar. Anybody know who the heck this is??????

Nov 15, 2006
In the "Making Of" (which is a British docu), there are 3 Titanic survivors who were called upon during the making of the film ANTR and of whom appeared on set - Laurence Beesley, Joseph Boxall (4th officer) and the lady in question Edith Russell

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The pig was a music box. It does appear in the documentary but not in ANTR itself. That would have been a nice touch, but after half a century Edith's pig was showing its age and the mechanism was very fragile. So they used a stunt pig instead! :)

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
You can see a photo of the pig on page 145 of the illustrated A Night to Remember.

The pig is often said to have played the Maxixe, a dance of the time. Of course, a dance can be performed to any tune that suits it. My bet is that the tune was Brejeiro, by Ernesto Nazareth. This tune was popular in 1912 and the Maxixe was danced to it, usually as an exhibition by a skilled couple, rather than as a general ball-room dance.

The Library of Congress has video of the dance, but I don't have the URL handy.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
You could email the National Maritime Museum in London and ask them. They have it in their Lord Macquitty collection.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
So the lady shown really briefly is Edith Russel? The interviews were shot in 1993 so I am guessing it was filmed sometime between the discovery of the wreckage and the filming of these interviews. She appears to be about 80 - 85 or so. She isn't actually named, either -- we just see either MacQuitty or Lord mention survivors and the brief video shot of her is shown.

About the pig -- on IMDB in the trivia area for the movie, I seem to remember it says the ceramic pig in the movie is the same one that she brought with her from her room and saved. I guess that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.