Question about Englehardt Collapsible B

Jude

Apr 8, 2012
England
Hi, I've just joined today. Tried to post on "introduce yourself" but obviously the website is over-loaded!

My mother was born on April 14th 1911, in Portsmouth, UK, so the Titanic sank on her first birthday. She died three weeks ago, but would have been 101 had she made it to this week! She remembered all through her childhood how the shadow of the Titanic fell over Portsmouth as well as Southampton as so many families were affected with the loss of the crews.

My particular interest is Herbert Lightoller and I just wanted to be sure of my facts. There seems to be a contradiction on this website. Under Survivors, there are 14 names listed as having survived the night on Englehardt Collapsible B

However, on the page for C H Lightoller we find this:

"Thirty men had climbed onto the overturned Collapsible B. They including two First Class passengers, Second Officer Lightoller, Colonel Gracie, the two Marconi Operators Phillips and Bride. The rest were all crew, mainly firemen. They paddled away from the remaining swimmers, fearing that they would swamp them. Bride informed Lightoller that the Baltic, Olympic and Carpathia were on their way to rescue them. Lightoller calculated that the Carpathia would arrive around dawn. Three men died that night, one of them Phillips." https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/charles-herbert-lightoller.html

So did 14 men survive - or 27?

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Someone more knowledgable than me can give you a better answer, but I've always thought it to be around 30 some of whom were in the water hanging onto the boat (incidentally that part never made sense--my thread in the "in the freezing water" section of the forum.)

Pure speculation on my part, but could it be that 27 men survived on the back of that boat, but we only know the names of 14 of them?

Bags

Mar 20, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Hello Jude, welcome to the board. The best I can come up with right now is this link Titanic Lifeboat Lowering Sequence if you scroll down to the bottom you'll find the list you're looking for. Sadly I didn't see any suggestion of what they're resource was, but it is in line with what I recall reading.(either somewhere on the 'old' ET board, or one of my books).

Hey Scott, ;).

Jude

Apr 8, 2012
England
Many thanks Scott and Baga. I'm posting this before looking at your link as my connection keeps falling off - obviously it's overload time here at the moment! :eek:

Jude