Question about picture

M

mark garfien

I found this picture on some website an it says that it is William Murdoch and Charles lightoller standing together, I know that the man standing to the right is murdoch, but it says the man standing to the left is lightoller. but he has a mustache and I don't think Lightoller had a mustache.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I can't download the image, Mark, but is this perchance the photo of them standing together on the Medic? In which case, both men did have moustaches at that time.

M

mark garfien

Sorry I willl re-post the picture
med2ti_copy3.jpg

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Ah yes - as I thought, it is the Medic photo. The image is cropped from a larger photograph of the Medic's officers taken in 1900 that, last I heard, was in the collection of Maureen Landreth (a relative of James McGiffen, who is also in the original photograph). Lightoller was fourth officer and Murdoch was third.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 13, 1999
Too bad they don't have the uncropped Medic photograph on there. As I'm sure Inger will agree, it is a fantastic picture, between the mustaches and poses. The style must have changed between 1900 and 1912, since the majority of the officers were clean shaven by the time of the maiden voyage. If I remember correctly, the picture is in Susanne Stormer's first book about Murdoch.

Happy holidays,
Tad

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
That's right, Tad - Susanne used it in both her biographies of Murdoch. Bristow also published it some years earlier, and I think it's in the second edition of Stenson's Lightoller bio.

We had some discussion a few years back about the authors and their i.d.s on the officers in the photograph:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5914/4948.html

It is indeed a tremendous array of bristling moustaches! There's a great photo of Harold Lowe taken a few years after that one with a group of officers similarly sporting tremendous lip warmers (although Lowe, peversely, remained - and seems to have always remained - clean shaven).

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Ilya McVey swears that Murdoch must have goosed Lightoller in that picture. The two of them are obviously cutting up on the back row. I love Lights' 'stache. It doesn't really suit him, but it's cute.

M

mark garfien

I was on photobucket.com last night and happened to find an uncropped picture of all of the officers of the "Medic", i don't know how I found it, but I did.

medicofficersgroupphoto.jpg

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I have just noticed the correspondence in this thread regarding White Star officers and their moustaches (or lack of them). Can I offer a suggestion why the Titanic's deck officers might have shed their facial hair. As far as I can make out, the officers on prestigious British ocean liners were encouraged to become naval reservists and, as such, they would not have been allowed to have moustaches without accompanying beards - it was a case of all or nothing!