Question about the deck plans

Drayeon

Apr 11, 2015
In the front and back of the ship there are areas where there is a dotted line and a solid line. It's not in the middle of the ship. Is the dotted line the floor and the solid the roof? Also is the double line the thickness of the hull?

Thanks for any responses.

Nikos

Apr 3, 2019
Hi all,

Bumping this old post as I am wondering the same. My assumption is that the above is true, however it would be great to get clarification.

Thanks.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Nikos: In order to get an answer to your question you would need to post an image of the plan where these lines appear and indicate which lines you are referring to.

Nikos

Apr 3, 2019
Apologies! That's some important context I'm missing.
Referring to the deck plans on this site (i.e. encyclopedia-titanica.org).
e.g. in this image of F deck, you see a dashed and a solid line emanating from the bow.
The solid line appears to actually be two lines that separate. My assumption is that the dashed line indicates the hull at floor level and the solid lines are at ceiling level? The distance between the two solid lines depicts the width of the steel?

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Hi Nikos: The first thing you have to keep in mind is that these are general arrangement plans whose purpose is to show the layout of rooms and equipment on the various decks. They are not precision structural plans which were used to actually build the ship. With that being said, you are right that the dashed line indicates the extent of the deck being shown. The inner solid line would be the "ceiling" or more accurately the deck above the deck being shown. The outer solid line represents hull frame thickness between it and the inboard solid line.

Reactions: Nikos
Dec 4, 2000
Flam and flare. They are effectively waterlines struck used by naval architects to show the changing shape of the hull. Builder's plans are quite detailed in order for the shop to loft the proper shape and the builders erect it on the stocks. Waterlines show effectively the shape of the deck as if the hull were sliced parallel to the water. Buttocks show the side view of the shape, while the transverse view shows the hull as if sliced vertically. Any given point on the outside of the hull must measure the same on all three views.

The process of using lines drawings to loft out a hull is explained rather well in the book "Lofting" by Alain Vaitses. Although he is most concerned with small yacht-size vessels, the concepts for building Titanic were the same.

-- David G. Brown

Lofting

Lofting
by Allan H. Vaitses | Sep 1, 1999

Reactions: Nikos

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Hi David: What Nikos is asking about isn't waterlines. Waterlines are parallel to the keel baseline. These lines in this G/A plan view indicate the width of the deck at any point fore and aft. Since the deck follows the sheer, these aren't really waterlines.

Dec 4, 2000
Bob --
I know they aren't waterlines, but that's the simplest way I could find to explain it. I've lofted and built a variety of watercraft, so I've used lines drawings. Never saw exactly what is shown on the deck plans before -- but they do resemble waterlines, so I used the term. Not many people need to know the niceties of the system, just the concept. For instance, we don't need to get into the projected skin thickness, etc.

- David G. Brown