Question about the deck plans

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
In the front and back of the ship there are areas where there is a dotted line and a solid line. It's not in the middle of the ship. Is the dotted line the floor and the solid the roof? Also is the double line the thickness of the hull?

Thanks for any responses.
The dotted line you are seeing is simply the outline of the outboard edge of the deck(s) below. It is an indication of the flare of the shell plating at bow and can be seen very clearly at the counter stern from d deck downward

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
In the front and back of the ship there are areas where there is a dotted line and a solid line. It's not in the middle of the ship. Is the dotted line the floor and the solid the roof? Also is the double line the thickness of the hull?

Thanks for any responses.
I think the dotted lines indicate the upward curve of the hull ,as the ceiling would be wider than the floor as the side of the ship curves out ward as it goes up at the bow and stern ends.

May 3, 2005
Hi Jim and Samuel -

As you know I am one of those of the dinosaur age. LOL. I understand these things have improved since

Question in regards to deck plan area labeled "Firemen's".
Was this the berthing areas with bunks (?) and maybe lockers ?
This looks like much like those which were on the 1950's vintage USN ship on which I served.
Were berthing areas and arrangements for the crews on passenger ships better or worse than ships of the British RN's ?
I am assuming the areas marked "Firemen's W.C's " were just that ?
Were there are any showers or wash basins for the crews ?
I think Captain Smith had his own private Bath Tub ?

Last edited:

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi Jim and Samuel -

As you know I am one of those of the dinosaur age. LOL. I understand these things have improved since

Question in regards to deck plan area labeled "Firemen's".
Was this the berthing areas with bunks (?) and maybe lockers ?
This looks like much like those which were on the 1950's vintage USN ship on which I served.
Were berthing areas and arrangements for the crews on passenger ships better or worse than ships of the British RN's ?
I am assuming the areas marked "Firemen's W.C's " were just that ?
Were there are any showers or wash basins for the crews ?
I think Captain Smith had his own private Bath Tub ?

Aye, auld Smith had his own bath which was visible on the wreck in years gone by. Unfortunately it appears that it has since disintegrated if recent reports from the wreck are true.

There were indeed showers and wash basins provided for the firemen* on D Deck, E Deck and G Deck in the bow. Visits to the wreck have also shown the firemen even had drinking fountains in their mess room.

As for the rest of the crew....

On the Boat Deck there is one bath shown in a room between the officers lavatory, the oil skins store and the deck stewards quarters which looks like it was meant for the use of the officers.

On E Deck, it looks like there were three baths provided for the use of the stewards.Two adjoining their quarters aft and then another one closer to the bow. Another bath in the room next to the latter seems to have been for the use of the senior ratings of the deck dept.

On F Deck aft, there are three baths provided for the engineers, electricians and boilermakers. One is solely for the Chief Engineer. The other two are located, one on the starboard side and another on the port side.

The female crew don't appear to have had their own wash basins and lavatories set aside, so one must logically presume that they were given leave to use the communal facilities of the female passengers.

*Considering the grimy nature of their work, it's only common sense that trimmers and greasers must have shared them too.

Last edited: