Question about value of book signed by survivor

Kiera Carlson

Aug 18, 2008
Hi! My MIL is a Titanic enthusiast, and has an item to sell. She went on a cruise in 1997 where they were attempting to raise part of the ship. There were survivors on board who were signing items. MIL has a book that is signed by Edith (Brown) Haisman, who was 16 at the time the ship sank, and has since deceased.

MIL wants to sell the book, but thinks it's worth a LOT more than I think it's worth.

Is there a way to figure this out? Thanks!

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
That book is fairly common. You can get a decent used copy on Barnes&noble.com for $5.00 - $10.00. The Edith Haisman signature will add value to it for sure but I would not expect to get more than $50.00 for it myself. I am no expert though. I hope this helps you out.

By the way what does your MIL think it is worth?

Kiera Carlson

Aug 18, 2008
LOL! Even *I* was way off figuring its worth - - I told MIL to list it for $100.

Get this -- she thinks it's worth "well over $1000" and made me list it on eBay for her. I'm so embarrassed!!! I can't wait until the auction ends and I can come out from under my rock. LOL!

thanks for your help!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Don't be surprised if you get $1,000. There's no limit to what some fanatics will pay for Titanic memorabilia. Some items have fetched many tens of thousands.

Personally, I'd keep the book as my own treasure, unless I was totally broke. It's your call!

T

Timothy Trower

Dave is right -- there is only one source for new, authentic Titanic survivor autographs -- and she is not in the best of health.