Questions Concerning Family of Survivors

M

Mark Bray

Hello. I have been researching the families of survivors, recently. On some of the passengers bios, I was wondering if certain relatives were still living. I am extremely interested, so I could be up to date. Thanks everyone for your time, and any kind of info. you can offer on the would be greatly appreciated.
*Margaret Graham Moore*
Are her Children:
Margaret Moore
William Moore
and Eugene Moore alive?
*Jean Hippach Scharin*
Are her children:
Louise Moss
Jean Spalding still alive?
Who out there have talked do relatives of Survivors and/or victims? I am extremely interested in your story. Please email me. I have so many questions! Would Micheal A. Findlay and/or Philip Gowan please email me, or any others that study the passengers. Thanks to everyone, and to Phil Hind for his website & to all contributors.

AND For ET and Others Info:

-Newell Robb (The son of Marjorie Newell Robb) died about 5 years ago.

Apr 10, 2001
Mark,
Jean Spalding and Louise Moss are both still living. Am not sure about Margaret Moore's children but I'll ask her granddaughter and let you know.

Phillip

Apr 10, 2001
Mark--should have said above that I'm not sure about Margaret Moore's sons--her daughter is definitely still alive--I've corresponded with her in the last year but didn't ask about her brothers.

Phillip

M

Mark Bray

Thank you very much Phillip. I hope if I might have anymore questions, you might be of help. Can you please send me your email address? Thanks again to you and to all posters.

Mark Bray
happy.gif

Apr 11, 2001
Dear Mark:

Jean Spalding and Louise Moss are both still living but neither one desires to speak about the Titanic. Their brother, Howard Scharin, was the only Hippach family member who was interested in the Titanic. Although he is no longer living, his daughter maintains an interest in the Titanic and has kindly shared the Hippach family history and photographs with us. We have spoken to hundreds of survivor descendents- which passengers are you specifically interested in?

Today Mike Findlay and I had the pleasure of visiting many of the Newport R.I. First Class residences, specifically the Carters, Wideners, Astors, Hays, Dulles, Spencers, Smiths, and we learned much more than previously published about the intimate family scandals and connections of these people through the excellent guided tour of Mr. Harrison who is a friend of many of these families' descendents and is currently writing a book for publication this Spring. We are getting together a Gilded Age Tour in April to repeat today's itinerary and also adding a sidetrip to Fall River Marine Museum to see the 1953 TITANIC model used in the film. You may be interested in coming.

M

Mark Bray

Gosh! I am an amature compared to everyone here. I have only talked to about 50 survivor relatives and friends. I love to do it, and it has been a great hobbie for the past two years. I am interested in Edith Haisman, Frank Goldsmith, Frank Aks, Marjorie Newell Robb, Eleanor Shuman, Marshall Drew, many others, might you email me? Thanks!

Mark
happy.gif

Apr 10, 2001
Mark,
I double-checked with Edith Blair, granddaughter of Margaret Graham Moore, and she confirmed that all three of Margaret's children are still living.

Phillip

M

Mark Bray

Thank you very much Phillip, you will get an email from me soon, if that's okay?

Mark
happy.gif

Apr 11, 2001
Mark- looking over your list, nobody knows more about Marjorie Robb than Mike Findlay (see Introduce Yourself Thread). I met her when she was about 96 at her first Titanic talk at a little church down the street from her house in Westport Point Massachusetts(right outside of Fall River). She had made a trip to Litchfield Cathedral(England)- and heard the choir singing and said that it released something she had supressed for many years. Capt. Smith's statue is in this town you may remember. She decided that all were dead now from her family and at long last she would speak about the sinking. It had been forbidden in her family. Her Mother went into perpetual mourning for Mr.Newell and slept with his ring and watch under her pillow. She lived to be 102 and Marjorie was 103. Over the years Mike and I were her travel companions and as she grew older, naturally, her memories became a little jumbled. At age 96, though, she was as sharp as a tack! She remembered sitting at the table with the Astors and seeing Madeline in a gown with a long train and the sound the ladies' dresses made coming down the Grand Staircase. And at her age at the time of the disaster, she remembered rowing in the lifeboat to keep warm- she was a tall and vigorous New England gal! Many a snowy evening she would regale us about her trip on the Grand Tour- the funny romantic flirtation with an Arab on a white horse dashing about the hotel courtyard trying to impress her and romancing her in a cemetery- much to the dismay of her father! She was a coquette up until the last- and after I took Mike to meet her- I became "old hat"!! She loved to be the center of a handsome young man's attention! She traveled extensively in her life and loved Switzerland and the mountains- especially the Green Mountains.She travelled on the liner Romanic and kept a delightful diary.The family liked White Star ships. Going on a boat didn't bother her in the least. Mike can tell you even more about her life- her Father and sisters and son -who for a time was the director of the Fall River Marine Museum when the Titanic model arrived. I took my students to see her many times and she always kept them enthralled with stories of the good old days- not easily done with 125 teens. Even now they come up to me years later and recall Marjorie Robb. She was without a doubt one of the most remarkable people I ever met. She loved going out to Manchester's for dinner, pretty clothes, travelling ANYWHERE, her family home in Lexington, MA, driving out in the car, her children, and keeping up with all the new trends. She had an exciting life going back and forth to Philly, as a successful business woman-she had a brisk retail business-gorgeous lampshades. She was remarkably well- read, a brilliant conversationalist and played the violin (which was lost on Titanic).We have fond memories of her 100th birthday, her recollections on tape and a zillion photos. Her son died tragically young about 5 years ago. Mike can tell you about her daughters- I believe one is still alive in California. Her granddaughter has Mr. Newell's ring found on his body- it has Neptune's trident on it. Marjorie and her family are buried in Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Boston. This is just a very brief sketch of her- one could write a book on her life! Hope you read the Marshall Drew letter on this board. I knew him better than Marjorie and will tell you about that if you wish. The one consolation of my being a fossil is having been around when so many fascinating people were alive.

M

Mark Bray

Thank you soooo very much for all that information! I really enjoyed reading it. You have her on video? And pictures? I would be intersted in hearing about Marshall Drew whenever you get the time, either by this or by email ([email protected]). I would be very interested in either seeing her on tape or pictures. Thanks. Micheal, I would also love to talk to you about her, and all that good stuff, if you are willing. Thanks to everyone, I now feel like I know more about Marjorie. Thanks again!!!!!!

Regards,

Mark
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

M

Mark Bray

Hello. I just found out by a relative of Jean Hippach that one of Jean's daughter died, she is not sure which yet, but is looking for the obituary. So, I quess there are only 1 child of her alive.

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Mark,

Do you know what member of Jean Hippach's family told you this? Last I heard from Jean's granddaughter, Carol, who lives in New York, both of her aunts are still living. Neither one of them had any interest in the Titanic, and did not wish to speak with anyone about it. Howard Scharin, Carol's father, was not so guarded about discussing his family history. Unfortunately, Howard has since passed away but Carol has graciously shared most of the family memorabilia with researchers since her father inherited almost all of it when Jean Scharin passed away in 1974.

My last contact with Carol was in August of this year so it is possible that one of her aunts passed away since that time.

Mike Findlay

M

Mark Bray

Actually Caroll, told me. She is looking for the obituary for me, if you want I can mail you a copy. Since they were not close, she is not sure which Aunt it was.

Apr 10, 2001
Mark,
Something "ain't quite right" here. I've spoken to Louise Moss just recently and she did not mention losing her sister Jean. And it seems odd, even if they weren't close, that a niece would not know which of her aunts died--there are only the two so it wouldn't be tough to recall it would seem--

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Mark,

I would appreciate any information. I will contact Carol since I owe her a phone call anyway. If I'm able to confirm the report, I will let you know.

Mike Findlay

Mar 15, 2001
Just wondering, I know these are old posts but are Louise and Jean still living? I was always curious as to why they never wanted to discuss the Titanic. I did a google search on Jean and apparently she lost her son Ford Spalding ( I don't know how old he was but an adult) so maybe the loss of her son made her not interested in discussing the Titanic.