Questions concerning RTT

Jun 12, 2004
Did anyone notice, too, that when Pitt entered the staircase lobby/foyer on A Deck that the stairs were going up the backside and not forward?

Tie in with the Athenai's saloon features for what reason? This was clearly supposed to be Titanic, not some other ship.

As "elegantly" reminiscent as this set was, you'd think the filmmakers would have been closer to reality. Pictures of the actual grand staircase have been available since before the sinking. This wouldn't have interfered with the profit margin that is oh-so priority in the industry.

Yes, I am a creative writer, so I can appreciate the value and degree of some artistic liberty, but when it comes to Titanic and other historical dramas, I tend to get anal about accuracy, unless that information is not known and decision is left up to conjecture.

Jun 12, 2004
I wasn't only referring to the grand staircase, Jeremy, only citing it as an example. I agree that other things were just as off-the-mark as that, such as the two support rods erected on either side of the forward mast that weren't on the real Titanic.

As for the ship being in one piece, this movie was made before the real wreck was found, so, to me, that part of it was understandable. I personally don't think that would work now, though, since we know that the wreck is, in fact, not in one piece.

Anyway, there is a point about things going too far off-the-mark, and the grand staircase is one of the many bits of the movie which fits the bill for that.

Nov 15, 2006
Mark

During the early stages of filming for RTT, and before the films original director left (Jerry Jameson became the films 2nd director who went on to finish the film) they had plans to recreate many of Titanic's original features, such as the Grand Staircase. But with the endless problems they faced including budget, they cut corners "big time". The film was only going to cost £7 and they spent £6 on models and tanks - before principle filming began.

The original "raised" ship was going to be the 'Queen Mary', but her owners refused the production company to film onboard, knowing what they would do to the 'Mary'. This caused problems. They had to find a ship, similar to the style of Titanic. After a long period of searching, they found the 'Athenai' waiting to be scrapped, and so turned to that ship, while still on that budget. They did the best they could do considering the position they had got themselves into.

If anyone takes too much notice of the film, they would think that art deco began in 1912
happy.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, if their budget for models was £6 that was the problem. Even in Woolworths the Revell Titanic kit would have cost them £6.50 :)

Sep 26, 2009
We have discussed this point before, but in September,1978, Ken Marschall took me on a tour of the model shop in the EMI stage at Studio City, California. The model was virtually finished and Ken labored to make it the very best model of the Titanic he could do. I've seen photos in Ken's collection of his repositioning of the rivets on the hull, some only half a rivet width difference, but Ken wanted the model perfect. Even the tiny Welin davits actually cranked out! Then the model was shipped over to Malta and instead of cutting those tall vents off the Athenai, they were added to Ken's beautiful model! Since the Athenai was going to be scrapped, the real ship could have been altered to resemble the model, rather than the other way around. It's a real shame, and an even worse shame is that the model is rusting away on Malta, rather than being brought back to the US and changed back into what could have been the largest and best model of the Titanic ever made! Robert H. Gibbons

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's a real shame, and an even worse shame is that the model is rusting away on Malta, rather than being brought back to the US and changed back into what could have been the largest and best model of the Titanic ever made! Robert H.<<

I think it was the late Jon Hollis who posted some of the most recent photos of that model and unfortunately, I think we can take it that recovery/restoration just isn't going to happen. The model is just too far degraded to save.

Ed Weichsler

Feb 4, 2004
Check out the excellent website www.raisethetitanic.com for more information and behind-the-scenes photos. Robert H. Gibbons

I tried to contact the site but received the following message:

"FrontPage Run-Time Component Page
You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly.

This form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.
Click the <back> arrow to return to the previous page."

All of this is "Greek" to me..............

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Not to mention that cornet player "Grand Farley" was mentioned on playing on the Olympic for three years before the Titanic. What did he do, play to the workers at H&W ;)

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"on the subject on factual errors in RTT, what was the reason for the covered rails on the fo'castle deck?"

Hi All,

I understand Ken Marschall spent untold hours making this model exact as could be down to minute details - what are those items ala Aquitania on the bow?

Best,
Eric

Nov 15, 2006
The solid bulkhead and the 3 large vents were there to tie-inbow shots filmed aboard the ex Greek liner 'Athenai'. This 1930s vessel had those same type deck features. But even though this ship was waiting to be broken, they still "stupidly" went ahead and recreated them for the Titanic model. There are only "2" shots in the movie which show the Athenai's bow with the bulkhead and vents. But, nearly 30 years on, it still would have been more practable to have cut them off the Athenai.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"There are only "2" shots in the movie which show the Athenai's bow with the bulkhead and vents."

Well, it didn't help the poster any!
happy.gif

Now I understand why those things are there - thanks.

Eric

Nov 15, 2006
When you say poster, you mean movie poster?. If so, the British quad poster didn't show the two of the larger vents either side of the mast. They were missing, unlike the U.S poster.

Jun 12, 2004
Paul,

If I remember correctly, the cornet player's name was "Graham Farley," not "Grand," unless I am mistaken.

Of course, one thing about which we all are not mistaken is that such a man never existed on the Titanic, nor did his cornet. Titanic's 8-member band only featured strings and piano (stringed instrument also)--no brass.

And, yes, I know why the story employed a brass instrument, even though brass didn't exist on Titanic.

Apr 21, 2007
Sort of off topic, but on the RTT website it says there is some sort of game under downloads. I am just wondering what is it and how you can download it because I tried and it won't work.]
"I believe you may get headline, Mr. Ismay"