Questions for a book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Was the titanic able to dock at Queenstown?<<

Nope. She had to go to anchorage and the passengers were brought out by ferry boats.

>>What was it like for steerage passengers to board Titanic? Were there health inspections?<<

Absolutely there were health inspections for the steerage. (3rd class actually) The reason for this was because anybody deemed unhealthy at the port of disembarkation was promptly deported and at the shipping line's expense.

Paige Neve

Apr 1, 2010
Thank you, I have another question: I know there was a train station in Queenstown, but where would a train be coming from I just need an idea of a place that my characters could've lived and been able to board a train to Queenstown.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Paige,

Welcome aboard.

quote:

I read somewhere that they had to stay away from the dock because it was too big and smaller boats brought to the passengers to the ship.

Titanic did not dock in Queenstown because of her size, it was to save time. If she had docked, she would have been there for three hours. She could have done it, but it would have been a tight squeeze.

I'd be interested in seeing what you already have.​

Paige Neve

Apr 1, 2010
Why would it have taken so much time?

I dont have alot yet, and nothing on the actual ship yet. But the basic outline is about an irish family of four: mom,dad, daughter (17), son(19). They live on a farm and for the past few years they have had no luck with their crops, so they have no money. The parents sell off some land here and there and save up to get the tickets for the Titanic, and they are telling their children about it at the kitchen table. Thats pretty much where I am right now, 3 pages in.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Why would it have taken so much time?<<

Because she would have been navigating in very restricted waters and would have required the carefully co-ordinated assistance of several tugboats. There was no such animal as Azipods or thrusters so it would have been a time consuming and dangerous operation.

Paige Neve

Apr 1, 2010
Thank you guys for all your help so far. Theres so much about titanic i've never known. I cant wait to learn more.

Another question: after the passengers in the life boats were brought onto the Carpathia, the lifeboats were just cast off back into the ocean right? My question is, were there any people who died on the lifeboats? and if so were they cast back out still on the lifeboats?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>the lifeboats were just cast off back into the ocean right?<<

Some of them were. The Carpathia took aboard all that they could but they only had so much space available to store them. These boats would end up being held as assets against any claims made later in the inevitable lawsuits which followed.

Some people died aboard the boats and not all of them were taken aboard. Those who were, were given a burial at sea.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

Thank you guys for all your help so far.

You're more than welcome, Paige.

quote:

the lifeboats were just cast off back into the ocean right?

As Mike said, some lifeboats were set adrift. One of those was Collapsible A, which had three bodies, including Thomson Beattie. It was found 300 km southeast of where Titanic went down by the Oceanic, exactly a month after the disaster.​

Paige Neve

Apr 1, 2010
Thanks again for the great answers. How did you guys learn so much? I'm only 17 but i've been fascinated with Titanic since I was younger, had I known this site existed I would probably know alot more than I do.

Any books about titanic that stand out above the rest? I've read 3, 2 of which are pretty simple (titanic at 2, the inside the titanic book, and the one written by Robert Ballard, about finding it)

What would an irish family of 4 do with there time on Titanic? What was available for third class passengers?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>How did you guys learn so much?<<

Lot's of research and study over the years. You may find the inquiry transcripts themselves to be of value. They are an essential primary source for any serious researcher. Click on http://www.titanicinquiry.org/

>>Any books about titanic that stand out above the rest?<<

Maiden Voyage by Geoffrey Marcus is one. In terms of general histories, "Titanic An Illustrated History" by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall is good. Also Mark Chirnside's "The Olympic Class Ships" is excellant. There are literally hundreds of works out there covering a wide veriaty of areas of interest. Was there anything in particular which interests you?

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

How did you guys learn so much?

As Mike put it, a lot of research and reading. Plus, being a member of this forum for the past decade.

quote:

I'm only 17 but i've been fascinated with Titanic since I was younger

That's good. We need more young people like you.

quote:

Any books about titanic that stand out above the rest?

Mike has mentioned some good ones. Walter Lord's A Night to Remember is still the bible for many historians and researchers. As well, Charles Haas' and Jack Eaton's Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy, Donald Hyslop's, Alastair Forsyth's and Sheila Jemima's, Titanic Voices and Senan Molony's The Irish Aboard the Titanic. There may well be a lot more books that are released in the next couple of years, leading up to the centenary. Hopefully, including one by yours truly...excuse me while I toot my own horn.

quote:

What would an irish family of 4 do with there time on Titanic? What was available for third class passengers?

See this thread for the kinds of activities, that were available to third class passengers.​

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Sorry Paige, I missed this one earlier:

quote:

I know there was a train station in Queenstown, but where would a train be coming from I just need an idea of a place that my characters could've lived and been able to board a train to Queenstown.

It could have been traveling from Dublin, as there was and still is a line that was constructed in 1844, later extended to Cork, which is the county of Cobh. Or they could have been coming from Galway, Waterford, Limerick or Tralee.​

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're very welcome, Paige.

quote:

And your writing a book, that’s great! What’s it about? Technical aspects I'm guessing, but anything in particular?

Thank you. Actually, it's a biography on the life of a survivor, Arthur Peuchen who lived in the same city as I do, which is Toronto, Canada.

quote:

I just watched the History channel documentary "Titanic’s final moments: missing pieces." and I'm guessing you both have seen it, but that was 5 years ago,has anything further been discovered about how exactly Titanic broke apart? Like in relevance to the 2 pieces of her double bottom they found?

Yep, I have it. Nothing that I'm aware of has been done further on Titanic's keel.​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Nothing further may have been done with Titanic's keel, but some research has been done since then.

See http://titanic-model.com/articles/breakup/MFPBreakupPaper.pdf

Note, this is a 1.28mb file in Adobe Acrobat pdf format and requires an Adobe Acrobat reader to view. It also requires that one have at least a decent general understanding of shipbuilding technology. However, the author (Roy Mengot) is about as knowladgable at they come. If you want to see what some of the latest thinking is, this is the article to read.

As always, further research is needed and any of the material here...which may look golden now...could be completely undermined by some surprising new discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.