Questions on crew member names

• Thread starter James Edward Owens (Jowens)
  • Start date

J

James Edward Owens (Jowens)

i have a question involving the names of some crew members,in the signing on sheets guys like Boughton used the signin B.Boughton,but this page has his name T.Boughton,others dont even have full names,one book i have list's full names for some crew like A.Ashcroft they have as "???? aloius ashcroft" not sure of the 1st name,if these are true why dont the webpage have it so,im sure Mr Hind wont put things on the page that arent for certain,so i was wondering if thats why...also this book list's 5 Scott's in the crew,and i just see 3...Archibald Scott,Frederick Scott and a Mr Scott

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

As you are perhaps aware, most of the crew signed on using just their first initial(s) and last name. Some of their signatures are quite clear while others struggle to be read, which is why there is some difficulty discerning if one wrote a "T" or a "J", or say an "S" or a "G", etc. It is wise to be skeptical of some crew lists in print today. Mr. Ashcroft's given name was Austin (though this was in the book you refer to, I know it to be corroborated by other material.)
Among the crew I believe there were only three "Scotts" - Archibald, Frederick, and boots steward J. Scott.
Chris

J

James Edward Owens (Jowens)

Titanic.....Legacy of the worlds greatest ocean liner a Time life and discovery chanel book
they have listed a Archibald Scott,Frederick Scott,J. Scott and Samuel Joseph Scott

James

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

Hmmmm... Samuel Joseph Scott... perhaps this is a crewman who signed on under a different name? Or could this be J. Scott? I've not been able to find any given name(s) for him.
Chris D.

Mar 10, 1998
Samuel Joseph Scott was a catch-boy in Belfast and was the first Titanic workman to be killed on the job--fell from a staging ladder on April 20, 1910.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
That Discovery Channel book by Susan Wels is pretty good. Five stars!! It's onsale at my local Border's now at the bargain table for $4.99, and I just bought 6 more copies.

C

Chris Dohany (Cdohany)

Many thanks, Phillip. Never noticed it before but some of the other workers killed in the construction are in the listing in the Wels book too. Kind of odd to include them in an apparent passenger and crew listing.
Chris D.

samantha

May 12, 1998
my father says his grandfather was a crew member on the Titanic and survived, However he was a bit of a lad and had left his family when he joined the ship. His surname was Perry although he may have changed it he was from Bilston in the West Midlands anyone help?

E

Eric Coleman

There are two crew members that I'm interrested in. Their names where John coleman and Albert Edwerd Coleman. If any one knows how to find information on them please send me an e-mail.

S

SUSANNE ANDERSON

I AM TRYING TO FIND A HARRY(?) CLARK WHO WAS A STOKER ON BOARD TITANIC. CAN ANYONE HELP ME HE WAS A RELATIVE OF MINE. THANK YOU

Dec 13, 1998
Dear Susanne, there was a William Clark, a survivor. He was born in Ireland, I believe. He would later also survive the sinking of the Empress of Ireland; his signature is to be found on both ship's 'signing-off sheets'. There was no Harry Clark on the ship, but there was a bedroom steward T Clark, who was lost. If like, you can contact me at the e-mail address listed below.

Peter

S

SUSANNE ANDERSON

Dear Peter,Thank you for your reply. I am interested in finding out more about T.Clark but you did not leave your e-mail address for me to reply sorry.
Susanne.

S

Sophie Miller

What was the last name of the family who lost two family members to shipbuilding accidents?

S

susan pearce

Saloon Steward - Eric Barker (Could this be one and the same as Ernest T. Barker) He was my great-uncle, and he died in the sinking. Apparently he was in Victualling Dept. and was buried at sea. Any info. - much appreciated.

W

Warren B. Ervine

Hello,

My uncle Albert (ERVINE) was an electrician in the
engine room and, of course, perished with the sinking.

Warren B. Ervine