Questions suggestions and recommendations

• Thread starter Stefan Christiansson
  • Start date

S

Stefan Christiansson

Hi,
I don't own too many Titanic books and I need to expand my library.
Does anyone have suggestions what I should get?
Which are the must have:s?
Which books have the most detailed photographs from 1912?

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
My list of must-haves.

1-"A Night To Remember" (Walter Lord)
2-"The Night Lives On" (Walter Lord)
3-"The Last Days Of The Titanic" (E.E. O'Donnell) (All of Father Browne's Titanic photos)
4-"The Ship That Stood Still" (Leslie Reade) (Most essential book for the Californian)
5-"Titanic: Legacy Of The World's Greatest Ocean Liner" (Susan Wels) (some exhibition photos)
6-"Titanic: Triumph And Tragedy" (John Eaton and Charles Haas) (most photographs overall)
7-"Titanic: An Illustrated History" (Ken Marschall and Don Lynch) (Marschall paintings)
8-"Polar-The Titanic Bear" (Daisy Spedden) (best Titanic children's book. Also of value to adult Titanic researchers)
9-"The Loss Of The Titanic" (Lawrence Beesley) (the best survivor's book IMO)
10-"Titanic: End Of A Dream" (Wyn Craig Wade)
(Must have for the Senate Inquiry)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Another to add to the list of "must haves" are the transcripts themselves. The hardcopy is pricey, but they are essential primary sources.

If you're brave enough to deal with the Californian, add Senan Malony's "A Ship Accused" to see what the opposing view is.

On technical aspects, I'd reccommend Michael McCaughan's Birth of the Titanic as well as the reprints of the Shipbuilder Specials. I would also reccommend with some reluctance Anatomy of the Titanic. There are some incredible errors in the book, but you would be very hard pressed to beat the photographs.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Nov 12, 2000
if you are interested in books that are not only full of useful data, but are also awesome reads, these are my must-haves:

Walter Lord. A Night to Remember.
Geoffrey Marcus. The Maiden Voyage.
Wyn Craig Wade. Titanic, End of a Dream.
Don Lynch. Titanic, An Illustrated History.
David Brown. The Last Log of the Titanic.

if you are really more interested in images, Mike S. has mentioned the best ones, Birth of the Titanic & the Shipbuilder reprint. I would also add Eaton & Haas' Titanic Triumph & Tragedy as a great photo illustrated work.

finally, if you would like a history of the best books printed over the years, please check out the Titanic Book of the Year Award page on my website. I have chosen what I felt was the very best book printed each year on the subject for roughly the past 50 years. you can see the complete list at:

http://titanicbooksi te.com/bookaward.htm l

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Yes, that's a good book, Melinda. If you're interesting in what the author is doing these days, you might want to visit his website:

http://www.guypadfie ld.com/ppadfield/mai n.html

Another book on the same subject is the new book by Senan Molony entitled,"A Ship Accused". To see a review of this book and ordering information, visit the Titanic Booksite link mentioned in the post above yours. Go to "New Book Alerts" and scroll down from there.

BTW, welcome to the site, Melinda.
happy.gif

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Her Name, Titanic by Charles Pellegrino is a must read!
Great insight to Robert Ballard and crew!
- Don

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

Don, I think a few people on this list might have a problem with that one. I can tell you that the Newark Public Library purchased a copy for its reference collection. I took a good hard look at the information contained therein, and had it transferred to the circulating books, from whence it was mercifully stolen!

Pat W.

T

Timothy Brandsoy

"Her Name, Titanic" is probably the worst Titanic book ever. The paperback blurb says: "HYPNOTIC!"---Steven King. I should have guessed it was fiction!

Tim B

T

Timothy Brandsoy

"A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord and "The Discovery of the Titanic" 1987 by Robert Ballard, are the two that got me interested and renewed in Titanic.

Tim

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I agree "Her Name, Titanic" is terrible and Charles Pellegrino's theories are so way off base. My favourite one is the "Floating Grand Staircase theory" which has been disputed time and time again.

It's definitely not of my highly rated Titanic books.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

S

Stefan Christiansson

Got a delivery of some Titanic books today.
Very interesting read! Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!
happy.gif

Nov 12, 2000
Don, you might get an inkling that Charles Pellegrino is not too well thought of here on ET. and while that is essentially true, I don't think I would go so far as Timothy does to say Her Name Titanic is the worst Titanic book ever printed either.

Pellegrino, for better or worse, is probably one of the biggest names when it comes to the subject in the mind of the general reading public. his books enjoy mass market success, with huge print runs in both hardcover and paperback. the reason, in my humble opinion, he is so popular is that he brings tremendous enthusiasm to everything he writes. his books are always entertaining reading.

the downside to Pellegrino is that he is terribly inconsistent, some of his theories are very insightful (his essays on the rusticles is awesome), while others are much more speculative, (what I call his Incredlble Popping Grand Staircase theory).

he is also a sloppy researcher, and a lot of errors end up in his text that someone with a solid background in Titanic lore should have caught.

then there are his seemingly pure flights of fancy. in his second book he actually tries to say that a first class passenger did a Jack & Rose on Titanic's bow. this is such a completely ludicrous thing to suggest that I still can't believe he wrote it!

I don't think any tremendous harm is done for a reader to have begun their Titanic adventure by reading Pellegrino. those who really want to get into the story will eventually get to the writers who really do the subject justice, like Walter Lord, Geoffrey Marcus, Wyn Craig Wade, etc. etc. etc.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Feb 14, 2011
Pellegrino even suggested there was a condom dispencer on Titanic. I havent found any 1912 sourses to confirm that!

regards
Tarn Stephanos

A

Ashley Regan

In MHO,

Maybe somebody needs to write a book about the people who research and are devoted fans of the Titanic. It seems to be a subject of interest in its own right as so many people spend so much time , money and talent on the topic, I think a book would be in order.

Ashley

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
I don't think any tremendous harm is done for a reader to have begun their Titanic adventure by reading Pellegrino.

I would hope not. "Her Name, Titanic" was the second Titanic book I had read, many a year ago. 'Course, that was before I knew enough to know better and discern Pellegrino's storytelling from fact. Thankfully, perhaps, I don't remember much of what he said in it.

Josh.

John M. Feeney

Sep 20, 2000
Josh: My third, after ANTR and The Night Lives On. Luckily, I put it down right about the time I reached Lightoller supposedly thinking, "Bit_h! Bit_h!!" (Just couldn't handle it after that.) %^}

I have to admit, though -- it did get me onto the Internet, asking a LOT of questions.

A condom dispenser? Was he referring to barber Weikman, by any chance? One of the many fine sundries available from that shop? ;^)

(Y'know, that phrase stands out in the message list like a sore ... uh, thumb.) :)

Apr 11, 2001
A book about Titanic authors and researchers? It has been thought of- but names would have to be changed to protect the guilty-and it would probably be banned in Boston! Have known Charles P.for maybe 14 years and he is singular to be sure. Can't say Her Name Titanic is one of my favs- I lasted about 20 pages- but in some scientific fields of endeavor his credentials are quite impressive. Now what I would love to know is WHAT is that thing he wears around his neck that looks like a jade lifesaver?! A Zen thingie? My kids found him amusing one afternoon whilst stranded in a taxi- he regaled them with tales of how the moon is made of green cheese- yes...certainly an original mind, -shoot, probably a genius or something.

Feb 14, 2011
Forget these modern 'Johnny come lately' Titanic books-
If you want to know what really happened that night, you must read the primary sourses-

*Loss of the SS Titanic by Lawrence Beesley 1912
*Truth About The Titanic by Archibald Gracie 1913
*Titanic and Other Ships by CH Lightoller 1935
*Sinking Of The Titanic by Jack Thayer 1940

(all three accounts are back in print)

*The US Senate and British Titanic hearings (both back in print)

regards

Tarn Stephanos