Quick question Door to Squash Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna Brawley

I know the Squash/Racquetball Court spanned Decks F and G, but on which deck was the door to enter it? I believe it was E...?

Dec 13, 1999
The First Class pasengers could access the Squash Court from a door located somewhere in the D-deck passenger quarters. I've once seen a plan that shown the emplacement of the door, but I can't remember exactly if it was from the Titanic or the Olympic. The court was between F and G-decks and was in charge of a professional player named Frederick Wright. Tickets were obtained at the Enquiry Office on C-deck at 50 cents per half hour, to include the services of the professional if required. The court may be reserved in advance by application to the professional in charge, and may not be occupied for longer than an hour at a time by the same players if others are waiting. The Titanic's squash court was a very popular place and many first class passengers enjoyed it. For example, Colonel Gracie was a regular player, so did Karl Behr. I think Richard Williams and his father also played, without forgetting Mrs. Spedden. I also heard that Spencer Silverthorne was one of the good players on board.

Hope I helped,

Charles Provost

Jul 20, 2000
Anna, in looking at copies of the Deck Plans for Olympic/Titanic there are some stairs just forward of the forward Boiler Uptake Casing on both D and E decks, these lead down to F deck where there is another stairway leading down to the Lower Deck.The Shipbuilder says: that the Court was situated on the Lower Deck, with a gallery for spectators on the after end of the Court at the Middle Deck (F) level.

Do you have a copy of A Night To Remember? The Illustrated Edition?

Hope this helps.

Lester

A

Anna Brawley

Yes, very many thanks to both of you. I do not believe I have the illustrated edition to N. to R. but I am sure I can find it...

Again, thank you for your time and help!

Anna Brawley

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Actually the door that opened and lead right into the squash court was on G deck. The staircase did begin on D deck, where one then had to take another one on E deck which lead down to F deck. On this deck was the spectator place from which the stairs lead down to G deck and landed right near the door which opened into the squash court.

This is quite obvious on the plans, if one has access to them.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.