Quotes made by a passenger

• Thread starter Faith Elizabeth Cason
  • Start date

F

Faith Elizabeth Cason

Hello!
I'm making a book of quotes by titanic passengers and crew, for a very good friend's birthday. We both love Titanic, but I'm afraid I couldn't think of many words spoken by anyone. I figured the people of my favorite website (ET) could help me out! I need lots, so feel free to leave more than one quote. Please don't forget to tell me who spoke it, and if possible when in comparison to the sinking. Thank you!!!!

F

Faith Elizabeth Cason

I have found one quote so far:
“All the feeling left us. If we wanted to know if we still had legs left, we had to feel down into the water with our hand. The only exercise we got was when someone gave up hope and died, whom we immediately threw overboard to give the live ones a little more space and at the same time lighten the weight of the boat." This quote was made by Mr August Wennerström in Collapsible A, shortly after the sinking.

Dec 4, 1998
I can think of one quote made by Helen Churchill Candee after surviving the sinking, which was, "It was a fancy dress ball in Dante's Hell." This quote can be found in Judith B. Geller's "Titanic: Women and Children First." Another quote comes from Noël Lucy Martha, Countess of Rothes, who, after being interviewed at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York, said, "Brave men all that stood back so that the women should have at least a chance to live! Their memories should be held sacred in the mind of the world forever."

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Faith, that sounds like a fantastic project, but one that could take quite some time. Another resource is EXTRA TITANIC, which you might find in the library. It's a collection of newspapers that came out after Titanic sank. And when you finish, I'd love to buy a copy of your booklet.

Kyrila

("but my real name IS Molly Brown!!!")

F

Faith Elizabeth Cason

Thank you so much for the quotes so far. Kyrila, I will certainly send you a copy of my little quote book once it is finished...However it is bound to take quite a while. Do you have email?