Ragtime

Dec 13, 2016
Throughout the voyage and the sinking its been said that Ragtime was played. However, the only ragtime I can think of would be "Alexander's ragtime band" which is really more of a ragtime song. What other examples of ragtime would have been plated aboard Titanic?

A

Aaron_2016

I believe they would have played popular tunes by Scott Joplin. One of my favourites is 'The Paragon Rag' (1909)

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The White Star song book of the time shows nothing by Scott Joplin. Most of the tunes were arrangements of the classics. There were also popular lighter pieces, such as marches, hymns and ballroom dances.

A mention of jazz comes from Lightoller, who was more of a sailor than a muso. The players were all classically trained and didn't improvise.

A

Aaron_2016

I think several of the band members had previously played on the Cunard liners. I recall Wallace Hartley played on the Carpathia. Perhaps he possessed a Cunard song book which was more 'in tune' with the modern dance era with melody and broadway tunes? I recall one of the survivors who said the band answered requests and they could play a very wide variety of different songs. When the evacuation was taking place 4th officer Boxhall heard the band play 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' perhaps by popular request from the American passengers.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Countless books I've read have said that during the sinking, rags, waltzes and other light tunes were played. However there are no specifics given. I don't know if rags were played any time during the voyage.This was the age of Light Music as well as Salon music, and some of these pieces have a ragtime sound as there is some syncopation in this kind of music. Fritz K reislers "Syncopation" is one of these pieces.