RAISE THE LUSITANIA

B

Brian R Peterson

Might is not a factor in the equation, the Lusitania wreck is so dilapidated she would most definitely disintegrate into a mess of iron ore if an attempt to raise her was made

Best Regards,

Brian

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
The Lusitania makes Titanic's stern look like its in good condition. Although the Lusitania is only 300 feet of water. Maybe if the Irish hadnt used the ship for target practise, it might be worth a try. But in the condition it is in now, its a waste of time and money.

Peter Kelly

Nov 19, 2003
Wesley,

You need to get your facts right - it was not the Irish that used the Lusitania for target practise, but the British Royal Navy.

A ploy used by German U-boats during WWII was to lie on the seabed close to a known wreck, preferably one made of metal as opposed to a wooden ship, and lie in wait for an enemy naval vessel or convoy. These wrecks, such as the Lusitania, were well marked on sea charts and when Royal Navy vessels passed over or close by to them, they would pick them up on sonar, recognise them as being wrecks, pass them by, and then they were often fired upon by the U-boat which would surface behind, and ambush them.

The Royal Navy, having lost vessels to this ploy, had a policy of dropping a few depth charges in the vicinity of these wrecks any time one of their vessels came close to them, to destroy or chase away any U-boat which might be lurking beside them. This was done to many other wrecks, the Lusitania being one of them.

There are also those who believe or suggest that the Royal Navy, acting on instructions from the British government or Admiralty, systematically bombed the wreck to destroy evidence that the Lusitania was carrying munitions.

Whatever the reasons, it was the Royal Navy and not the Irish who were responsible for any damage done by explosives.

Regards

Peter

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
Oh, sorry. I havent really done much on Lusitania in a few years. I didnt think my memory was that bad. Its too bad they destroyed the wreck.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi all,

The worst thing about the wreck is the cobweb of fishing nets that some of you refer to.

Seriously, what is to stop the owner of the wreck form getting the damn things removed so Eric and his colleagues can close up on the remains of the superstructure and get more info before the whole thing is gone.

cheers

Martin

G

Guest (R17)

Hello

Maybe this has been mentioned - but was the Lusitania not used as target practice after & during WW2 as Church Hill did not want there to be any trace of what Lusitania was carrying in the way of cargo ? I tend to remember reading that something was removed from the wreck after the war...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's been mentioned, and yes it was, but not to hide what cargo the ship was carrying. It was common to drop depth charges on wrecks (Not just the Lucy!) to discourage submarines from using them as hiding places to stage an ambush.