Raise The Titanic Cut Sinking Scenes

Nov 15, 2006
One of the major changes to Lew Grades 1980 movie "Raise The Titanic!" was that of the opening to the movie. Today we know that the film begins with the photo-montage, but this was not the original begining. Some 12 minutes of footage was reportedly shot showing the Titanic in her final moments. It was said that Lew Grade did not like the how the scenes came together and so this entire section of footage ended up on the cutting room floor.

One thing to note is the model. The sinking scenes were filmed 'before' the raised liners stand-in (ex GRACE LINES liner ATHENIA) was found. The Titanic model lacks the 3 Fo'castle cowling vents and solid bulkhead that runs around the tip of the bows.

(All images from the Jonathan Smith "Raise The Titanic!" movie collection)

[Moderator's note: Oversized photo removed - JDT]

Nov 15, 2006
Strange, don't know what I did wrong here, but this should have gone into the "Raise The Titanic" section.

Admin/moderator, please move if needed - Thank you - Jonathan

Nov 15, 2006
SORRY people, here are the correct links to the cut-scenes images. (I'll get use to this modern technology one of these day's)

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
"Lew Grade did not like how the scenes came together". Hmmm, judging from box office returns so beautifully summed up in Jonathan's signature line, most cinemagoers didn't like how the whole film came together!

Seriously, while twelve minutes of sinking may have been a bit much as an "opener", at least a few minutes of Titanic foundering would have been a very good way to start a film which was, after all, dedicated to the exact reverse process.

A pity Grade thought otherwise, but I guess that was the least of his worries, as things turned out. That really is my favourite all-time quote from the world of showbiz...!

Nov 26, 2005
You know though, if you look at the A&E documentary 'Titanic: Death Of A Dream', I believe, there is moving footage from this scene. I recognized it in the 2nd photo. I'm wondering if this scene still exists somewhere in full.

Nov 26, 2005
You have to watch close. I'll check my library too and see if I can find a timeframe for you. If it's not in 'Death Of A Dream' it's in 'The Legend Lives On', part of a 4-video A&E collection. It's also on 2 DVD's, which I have also.

I just remember seeing it because I saw the clip and wondered which film it came from. Have for years. Then I saw your picture and put the two together. I just know it's the same clip. I'll have a look tonight if I can. Thanks Jonathan. I'll also have a look in the credits and see if I can't find a production company or editing company that I can contact and ask where they got their movie clippings. I'd love to see the RTT sinking scene in full. I have a feeling it still exists, it's just that nobody has voiced that big an interest in it.

Nov 15, 2006
Most of the cut sinking scenes ended up on the cutting room floor, and what was left went into storage, but resurfaced in 1982 for a U.S sci-fi series called "Voyagers". In the first episode (which was much like the Time Tunnel), they appeared on the decks of the Titanic during the night of the disaster. The sinking footage was that from "Raise The Titanic!" and the 1953 film "Titanic".

Other scenes that was filmed and cut from "Raise The Titanic!" were those showing the giant plates being dropped to the ocean floor to then be welded to the iceberg gash, the ships boilers being found, the foam being pumped into the ship.

Nov 26, 2005
>>Other scenes that was filmed and cut from "Raise The Titanic!" were those showing the giant plates being dropped to the ocean floor to then be welded to the iceberg gash, the ships boilers being found, the foam being pumped into the ship.<<

Does it ever feel like to you that some of the best parts of a Titanic film end up on the cutting room floor? Those sound like some great scenes that I would have enjoyed seeing.

Apr 21, 2007
How are the lights already out? They should've left it in the movie and it might've gotten better reviews. Any idea where I can find a copy of Voyagers?

Sep 26, 2009
I believe the "Voyagers" tv series is available on DVD for sale at video stores. Also, a couple of episodes are being shown on YouTube or Google Video. The Titanic scenes from "Raise the Titanic" were also available on a video of the movie release of "Voyagers", taking footage from the pilot episode and the "Titanic" episode and combining them with a contrived story. The film was called "Voyager from the Unknown" and was available on VHS video a few years ago. I had a copy, but loaned it to a Faye Grant collector and never got it back. (Faye played the Mary Pickford character in the pilot episode) Robert H. Gibbons

Apr 21, 2007
Thanks Robert. I have a Netflix account
I tried to find it there to rent it with no success. I think I'll go to some other video stores. Thanks for the help.