Raise the Titanic model

Nov 26, 2005
A painful and tragic end to a great model. Back then it wasn't given a 2nd thought, but if only that movie had been made today. Someone would have treasured and taken excellent care of that model.

I wonder what Ken Marschall would have to say about this. I'd love to hear his view. He put a lot of good hard work and sweat into this model, as did many others.

I would rescue and do my best to restore it, but I honestly just don't have the yard space.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Just curious: have there been any recent photos of the model? Or should I say "What's left of it"??

If the model is still rotting away, the question should be: how feasible would it be to attach it to a tow line, then have it taken out into the Mediterranean and sunk??
I'd volunteer to operate the boat hauling the model out into the Sea.

I just have not checked whether the firm of "Baber, McLean, Sheil, Standart, & Tiller" can help me.
wink.gif

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Thanks for the link, Jonathan.

RE: Also, why sink the model
The answer is that it is extremely sad to see the model in the shape it is. My own feeling is that "we should put it out of its misery".

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I still say it is sad to see the model in such a sad shape as it is, right now. It is too bad that no organization is willing, or able, to preserve it.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Even fibreglass can degrade over time, especially if it's left out to the elements as the RTT model has been. I have to agree with John: It's time to either fix it if it's fixable or put it out of it's misery.

Nov 15, 2006
The hull is over 3" thick of fibre glass. When I saw it up close a few years back, it was solid with no sign of breaking or stress cracks, considering that it's mounted upon bricks and not sitting flush with the ground. It even withstood the hurricane that hit the island in 2004. Unfortunatley, the superstructure (made of metal & wood) did not.

T

Timothy Trower

Pardon my heresy, but it is only a model. It was built for a terrible film. Ken Marschall was replaced when the model was something like 90% completed, and the model's appearance was then changed -- drastically. Once the model was finished and pre-sinking sequences were filmed, it was altered more by being aged.

In 1980, it might have been worth restoring and preserving. To look at the photographs now, it really isn't worth anything more than to be crushed and shoved into a dumpster, or burned where it sits.

"Heart wrenching"? Read my lips -- it is only a model.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
True the model is beyond repair. In 1987 I was asked to see if the model was for sale to be used in the Exhibitions but there was NO interest in selling it even though up to 1 MIL could have been paid for it. As far as the film Terrible MAYBE but I saw it before all the sound was added and the horrible editing job ruined it. There were a lot of scenes cut and some scenes that should have been cut were not. The Editing contributed to mostly ruining it. There is a new release of Raise The Titanic on DVD (regretfully for the U.S it is in Region 2 format but see below) from the UK by Netwerk which has lots of extra features including all of my photos of the Model in Malta as well as Jonathan Smiths Collection and Steve Rigby's Plus lots of stock stills. Well worth getting it just for the added features and you can on line get a Region Free program so you can play DVD's from all regions. Just go on the internet and do a seach for Region Free DVD

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

Pardon my heresy, but it is only a model.
Maybe it's just a model to you, Tim, but to some of us it means more than that; even though the film was awful. Some people tend to appreciate these kinds of things a lot more than others, but each to his own.

Read my lips - it's more than just "a model" to some of us.​

T

Timothy Trower

Jason,

This is where I have to part ways with some of you -- the Titanic, and everything that surround it from the people, the other ships involved, clear down to the Nomadic -- they are part of something that happened, they are fascinating, but you have to realize that there is a world outside of the Titanic.

I know that this is, indeed, heresy on a Titanic message board, but I have to carefully balance God, family and business with a bit of time left over for what I enjoy. Note that the Titanic is not on that short list, nor is it an obsession with me. It cannot be, unless I want to become bereft of God, family and business.

The model under discussion is a pile of wreckage, an eyesore if you will, that really isn't even worthy of a thread. All this talk will do nothing for the model in any shape, manner or form. It will continue to sit and decay, falling into even greater disrepair. Like the SS United States, some things have to be let go at some point.

I'm sorry that the model wasn't preserved and then restored to the glory that Ken Marschall had planned. Life and bankruptcy get in the way of our plans sometimes.

I respectfully suggest that you step back, realize that it truly is "only a model" and move on to something in the world, or the world of the Titanic that really matters and means something.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Jason Sorry your getting flack over this but remember some complain about smoke from fireflies or glow worms or always if that doesn't work bring in the Lord as an ally
Hang in there guy This whole forum is for TItanic and other ship Lovers Movie or NOT

T

Timothy Trower

Certainly I expected a few flames, Mr. Hollis, but the only smoke will probably come from a vandal putting the model out of its misery some quiet evening.

And sir, if you are going to use the King's English, please punctuate and spell it correctly!

One last thought before I sign off of this thread -- "This whole forum is for TItanic" (sic). Actually, it is not for TI-tanic nor for THS-tanic. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea from a post that I was responding to.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The model in and of itself doesn't really mean a lot to me but if it does to others, I'm not about to begrudge them any of that. While it has no importance to real history, it would have made a magnificent display in a museum dedicated to movie ephemera and memorabilia. However in order for that to happen, there would have been a need to take much better care of it then it actually recieved.

If the fibreglass hull is reasonably sound, then it's certainly restorable. The thing is, who's going to be willing to pony up the cash for it? I could probably count all the candidates with one hand and still have five fingers to spare.

In that light, I think that Tim has a point. If the current owners are unwilling to do anything and are unwilling to offer it to somebody who is, then it's time to let this one go.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
quote:

If the current owners are unwilling to do anything and are unwilling to offer it to somebody who is, then it's time to let this one go.
Then let me know how much the scrap metal from that model may be worth?? A meltdown of the model would be preferable to seeing it degrade the way it is doing, right now.

We may have differing views on all things Titanic, such as why I am not enthusiastic about visiting the Branson Exhibit (there are many places I would like to see, first, since I have been to many Titanic Exhibitions, already), but we should respect when others do not like what has happened to things like the RTT model.
I'd toss the film in to the Mediterranean, along with the model (the film was a poor adaptation of the book, IMO), but I do not like seeing the model neglected the way it is.

I hope that, in two or three years, the model will be properly disposed of, if that is what is to become of it.​

Nov 15, 2006
After all said and done, the model doesn't belong to any of us on this board. The model belongs to 'Granada Television' here in the U.K. It is up to them what they want to do with it and if they see fit to keep it, sell it or destroy, there is very little we can do or say on the matter. Infact, and to the point, it's non of our buisness.

My interest in the model is of the 'model' itself, being that at the time it was the largest model of Titanic built, and technically it still is (complete hull, Camerons not included because the sinking model was only 60ft and of only the stern section). Many forget that the RTT model was built showing the liner pre-raise and without those tall cowl vents on her bow or that solid bulkhead and broken 2nd stack.

The views are devided, some like the film, others don't. Lets just respect one another views.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Tim,

quote:

I respectfully suggest that you step back, realize that it truly is "only a model" and move on to something in the world, or the world of the Titanic that really matters and means something.
No, that is not necessary as I'm not taking it as seriously as you perceive. All I'm saying is I don't like the way the model has been treated and it's a shame it wasn't looked after more properly by the powers that be, so that one day it could have been displayed in a museum for others to see. Perhaps it still can be restored or maybe not, but if it's the latter, then that's the way it goes.

We have different opinions on this; let's remember to respect them.​

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Mr Trower thank your suggestions Wegretfuwwy Eye only went as far as the second grade so my Kingz Inglish was never lerned too me