Raise the titanic question

Michael lowe

Apr 2, 2006
Going back to Mr Rose's question at the top. i don't usually believe in ghosts but i have read many stories and seen so many things so: What about abnormal activity? if you raised the Titanic, wouldn't the person responsible be hacked to death by the ghost of Thomas Andrews or something (Sorry if your reading this before bedtime!!) But that always happens in films and stuff. For example: George Bush rebuilds the World trade centre in NY, next morning, his body is found in his bed with his head in the toilet!! See, just fiction, but just an example!! There are loads of ghosts on Titanic, you can read stories on the internet. People diving to the wreck have claimed to have seen ghosts like the one of the third class girl with the doll. The dolls ceramic head was found on the sea floor, near to the third class dining salloon, where she was reported to have died. after finding all gates and doors leading to lifeboats locked. What would you do about things like that?

Take her to sea mr Murdoch-lets stretch her legs

J

Jon Meadows

I'm sorry...but what?! What third class girl with a doll? How do they know where a third class girl died?

Mar 17, 2010
London
People do know where some people died on the Titanic, but it could just be a hypothesis that a third-clss girl died in the dining saloon. Survivor accounts are quite good (some times) for saying where people died, like stories of people going back to their cabins, etc.

Carla

J

Jon Meadows

Right. There are a lot of stories about people going to their cabins and people at certain places at certain times. But, I'm particularly talking about this one individual.

1) Who is this girl and how do they know she died in the 3rd class dining saloon?

2) The 3rd class dining saloon was more than half-way toward the stern...does it even exist given the compression on the back of the bow section?

3) Isn't the doll's head in the debris field?

4) What ghost stories on the wreck? I've never heard any of these before.

Feb 24, 2004
>>pretend that the raise the titanic movie was real. what would you do with the ship?

Seems to me that the key word in Nick's original post was "pretend"?

>>I remember when [Raise The Titanic] came out that was the HOPE of all Titanic buffs. We wanted to see it rise from the ocean in one piece pretty much perfectly preserved. Which of course didn't happen. The fantasy aspect of it saves the movie.

Absolutely spot on, Matthew! That and Alec Guinness's cameo performance. On the whole, the film was pretty dreadful - but when that BOW BROKE THE SURFACE, I was in heaven! And that long shot panning the entire length of Ken Marschall's model alone was worth the price of the ticket!

Then, of course, reality set in.

Roy

Feb 18, 2006
Ooooooooo, that bow shot! Titanic being reborn, including that weird roar as her bow clears the surface. I keep expecting her to come out and say something, or shake herself off, it would have been perfectly natural in context.
True, the film left out a lot of the book's subplots with the hurricane and the Russians, etc, but at least they left Our Lady as the real star. With Titanic's rebirth who needs all the fusty details? And yes, this is (alas) a fantasy, of what we'd hoped, not what was. If RTT was made today the whole effect would be very different.
Titanic sails past the World Trade Towers, double spooking.
I watched (on my tape) the rising of Titanic soon after I watched the funeral of John Paul II. The contrast is truly bizarre...

Apr 21, 2007
I have to say when I saw the bow shot I cried. If they were to Raise the Titanic,I would like to see it in NYC first then to a special room with air that has no effect on the wreck or the aquarium idea which I like. Until that, I'll be watching RTT.

Oct 11, 2007
I have to say in watching this. The reconstruction is very convincing. And the raising scenes made me wonder If only that could happen? If only after 98 years Titanic would finally reach her destination. But as history followed the release of this movie. Titanic was discovered lying in two. But in relivance to this post. I'd of just let her sink to the bottom again as I'm a firm believer that Titanic should remain undisturbed, even as great as it would be see Titanic risen from her watery dimise I don't think we could actually change what sadly happened Titanic did sink, and alot of people died as a result. All in all it wasnt a bad film but I'm afraid hollywood and history don't go together.

Feb 24, 2004
Jolyon, I'm afraid you're right - the Titanic will never see New York City, except in relatively small pieces. However, there are wonderful photographs of the Olympic approaching and docked in New York, and Ken Marschall did an early painting of the Titanic's imaginary arrival there. If you can let your imagination go, they're pretty cool for casual speculation.

Roy