Raise The Titanic

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>In my experience, when you compare a movie and the book from which it was made, the book is always better. It's hard to explain.<<

I agree, but it's not so hard to explain in my opinion. When you have the book in your hand, it goes into details that no movie can ever do any justice to, however diligent the effort. Anyone who's seen the DeLauratis production of Dune and who has read the books in the series (I have!) would know what I'm talking about.

IMO, if the producers wanted to come close to being faithful to the book, they would have to do a prolonged miniseries such as what the Sci Fi Channel did with Dune a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, audience attention spans are rather short and keeping their interest is not the easiest thing to do. That leaves the producer a choice with doing something that is
a) faithful to the book...which could be seen as frightfully dull, or
b) Do a hatchet job which brings out the gripping highlights.

As going for option (b) is the way that sells the tickets at the box office whereas option (a) tends to drive people away since it puts them to sleep, figuring out the preferred choice of the producers and the backers isn't rocket science.

Jul 12, 2003
Thank you, Michael, for finding the words I needed to explain my feelings. You are so right. I always used to wonder about people who chose to see a movie version of a book or read cliff notes and think they were getting the whole package. Still, I am sure there instances where a movie does do a book justice...at least to a point.

One thing about a book is that you don't have to read it all in one day thus avoiding the deletion of anything to crunch time...but a movie is seen all at one time so I guess that is why producers have to pick what they believe are the best and crucial parts of a book to make it into a movie.

But have you ever gone to see a film after reading the book only to find a part you like not in the movie?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But have you ever gone to see a film after reading the book only to find a part you like not in the movie?<<

Oh yeah. The screen adaptations of Tom Clancy's books were so dreadful that I couldn't see any resemblance to the written word. Patriot Games was especially bad. About all it had in common with the book was the name.

Jan 28, 2003
Ah, but on the other side of the coin, have you seen Brideshead Revisited, Pride & Prejudice, The Jewel in the Crown, and the Jane Eyre adaptation with George C. Scott? Most of them TV films, but each of them added something or more to the reading of the book. But no Hollywood backers, of course.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Nope. Can't say as I have. I did see the adaptation of Shogun, and that was an impressive piece of work. Didn't even come close to touching the sheer depth of the book, but the producers sure gave it the good old collage try!!!

Nick Rose

Feb 4, 2006
I just noticed somthin about the move. Did anyone notice the model used at the press comfrence didnt resemble the Titanic they raised (no tall vents or gunwall)? And did anyone notice Cussler as a reporter at the confrence?

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I'd imagine (optimistically perhaps) that the model they used at least looked like the real thing. The "wreck" assuredly did not.

And no, I didn't notice Cussler in the movie but I'm not surprised. He invariably makes a cameo appearance in all of his Dirk Pitt novels. As far as I know, there is no other novelist who does this. A shame, because it's rather cute!

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
HI re Clive at the News Conference, He was supposed to have had a speaking role but at the last minute it was given to another actor playing a reporter who asked Admiral Sandecker the question that got the reply," Then we will hold another press conference." Also the original script called for the end scene to be in a schoolyard that had been built after the war over where the Byzanium was buried.If you notice at the cemetery there are two buildings (chapels)in the background one is an original the other a prop that was built after a storm damaged roof of the first one the intention was to do filming inside the chapel.

Nick Rose

Feb 4, 2006
Now it could have been my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think i saw the RTT Movie model in the background of the chapel scene at the end. It looked like the mast and the two vents on the side were visible. I swear, when the camera went to show Dirk, it seriously looks like the model is behind him.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Sorry the model was in Malta The fullsize ship (not steamable) was in Greece and The Chapel Scene was in England]

Jul 11, 2001
Matthew writes: He invariably makes a cameo appearance in all of his Dirk Pitt novels. As far as I know, there is no other novelist who does this. A shame, because it's rather cute!

Actually, Stephen King gets not just a cameo in his novels that are made into movies, but often gets a line or two.

David

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
Dont Forget Raise The Britannic!!

I dont think some of my scenes work out too well
IE- Motorcycle hits wall our cute little occupant flies off and eats pavement!!

The Britannic comes up bow first (Lift rings)
Helicopter crashes into ground and blows up!
Car runs off rode during chase and rolls down the hill and goes boom
It gets better Ha Ha Female charachter's name is Star Ride!
I cant wait to get filming I keep going through video cover ideas anyone got suggestions?

I might even sell the props !!!
better than letting it rot

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I actually don't mind "Raise the Titanic".

It may have been a flop at the box office, etc, but it had some pretty decent acting, wasn't just about the Titanic, and portrayed the Titanic in a way that many people would have liked, and still would like her to be in.

It's important to remember that the film was made in 1980, 5 years before she was found, when nobody knew what kind of condition she was in. Infact, it had been generally accepted since the sank, and in the inquest's findings, that she sunk in 1 piece, with a big gash in her side. Well, that's how this movie showed her.

As shown above, some of the dialogue was very good, and the underwater scenes were quite interesting, just to see how they worked. I for one don't mind watching the film over and over again.

On the factual side of things, it is a complete flop, yes. But as far as an interesting story goes, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5, easily.

So yes, I wouldn't mind a re-make. Provided it stuck to the facts a little more, now that we know so much more about the wreck.

Raising the Titanic definitely, beyond doubt is impossible, but for once I think it's nice to leap away from the facts a bit, and watch a bit of a mythical-type Titanic movie. Since there has been so much re-born interest in her since the discovery, I think it would do much better than the original one as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Adam.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Hi Adam, Good post and points made. I was involved with this film way back then and I can honestly tell you that while at the studio I saw the complete film in the screening room before final editing. Had they left it alone it would have been even better. Cut was the scene of the plates floating down and being welded over the gash set to great music, almost like an underwater ballet. Another cut was the capture and interrogation of the spy who you may have caught a glimpse of on deck with a sending device with a red light in his hand, the Hurricane scene under tow with the engine room sprnging leaks,Richard Jordan (Dirk Pitt) slipping and falling on his A__ while walking through the Grand Lounge with the flag over his shoulder, and a few other small scenes that would have added much to the whole picture.
What was not cut and should have been was the phrase' I can't put the Wormie on the Hookie." Once was bad enough but to hear it twice was even worse, plus the term "Fisherperson" Yuk! In fact all of whimpering Anne Archers part could have been cut as it did not add to the basic story line and in fact slowed the whole thing down. The news leak to the Russians could have easily been divulged by another source remember they had their own spy network which was pretty Da__ good. Of course we know that in 1980 like you said was no one knew for sure the condition of the ship so it was all guess work and hope was that that she was in one piece. I argured many times about the wrong funnel and foremast rigging and vents but got nowhere on that and have no idea why they insisted on the #2 funnel as the missing one. While in Malta I saw the model and saw it again in 1993 and plan to go back to the Studio there in October and will see if it is still there. Just prior to going to California for the movie I got involved with Jack Grimm and his ideas for finding the ship. Interesting to say the least and he was quite the character and his wife was a riot. Anyway a TV show was made showing the making of the movie and Jack Grimms plans with his crew combined and it was called "The Last Great Human Adventure". It never aired but I was able to get a VHS copy. Some great stuff on how they made the movie. Well anyway It was not that bad a movie considering the year it was made and it is too bad the final editing collapsed it even more. The music score by John Barry was very well done I thought. I will say one of the worst editing jobs I ever saw was when Richard Jordan and Anne Archer were haveing a conversation on the sidewalk in Washington D.C. Look at it again and pay attention to the traffic and vehicles in the background, another double YUK!Well that's it Cheers Adam and All] Whoops!!!! just saw an old post by Nick re Cussler at the News conference. He was supposed to have had a speaking part asking a question but he blew the line and that is why you see another reporter behind him stand up and ask the question. Cheers again

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
I Have to admit I liked raise the titanic
sure it didnt have all the action sequences in the book but action is over rated anyway
I lik the movie the way it is but one problem the original final cut is only Availible on Reigon 2 DVD too bad as I have to whach the
plain version which i recorded on a video tape on the action channel behind the britannic movie I have on the same tape

yeah if they had followed the novel a few scenes more we would have got to see that scene on the titanic where dana..
that would have made the movie more fun to watch!
you darn tootin!!! HA HA HA No phil Hind dont kck me off the board for the words above or below they are ment for humor only
and maybe theey could add a scene similar to the
scene where rabbit comes in the trailor and sees something in the living room in 8 mile that was a funny scene and would be coool in the RTT Remake

And why dont tapes you record in the VCR not last as long regarding picture quality?

Regards raymond leggs