Raising The Titanic

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
From what I've been reading any sort of attempt to move the wreck at all would probably result in it collapsing, it seems to be in a very fragile state after all these years. That's what got me thinking about the dome idea and preserving the wreck in its current location.

Best thing to do really is get a good VR setup and play Titanic: VR. This puts you in a very realistic model of the wreck that you can explore. I've spent quite a few hours in this game already, looking forward to when they release the stern section.

There are concrete steps, that would in and of themselves costs billions of dollars, which could be taken to preserve the wreck in situ. This would be much more realistic, but I doubt the will exists to carry them out. Heck, a "simple" application of anti-fouling paint to the outer hull would add decades to the life of the wreck.
Applying anti-fouling paint to the exterior of the hull really accomplishes nothing as the interior is still exposed to the sea water.

Speaking of Mr. Cussler, and another wreck which he discovered (and has been raised), the H.L. Hunley, the first submarine to successfully sink a warship. It has been in a saltwater tank ever since it was raised, and will likely spend several more decades in the tank before it has been stabilized enough to be removed. Granted, it sank during the American Civil War and spent more than a century at the bottom of Charleston Harbor before being raised. The Hunley is in a 75,000 gallon tank of water and it's only 40 feet long.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Yes, but the deep interior of the wreck is most likely the best preserved and the least impacted by the microbial life eating away at Titanic's iron due to a number of factors, including oxygen depletion in the water. So you are correct, anti-fouling paint in and of itself is not going to preserve the wreck forever, but could still significantly increase the time the wreck has before it finally deteriorates completely.

Also, yes you are correct. If someone had 12 billion dollars laying around to spend on salvaging Titanic, the wreck would need to be restored and prepared for contact with the actual air before anyone could even think of putting it on display. Given her size, I imagine this would require quite an investment in and of itself, and would most likely involve an outdoor 'tank,' which would really just be an open roof fenced portion of a bay or harbor.