Rare Footage of Olympic (sound)

Brian Hovey

Oct 18, 2017
Interesting that in the first video you can see smoke coming from all four funnels. I have always read that the fourth funnel on the Olympic-class ships was a dummy funnel but clearly it must be venting smoke from either the engine room or perhaps the galley. So that should mean that all four funnels, at least on the Olympic at this stage in her career, were actually "working funnels".

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Interesting that in the first video you can see smoke coming from all four funnels. I have always read that the fourth funnel on the Olympic-class ships was a dummy funnel but clearly it must be venting smoke from either the engine room or perhaps the galley. So that should mean that all four funnels, at least on the Olympic at this stage in her career, were actually "working funnels".
The Olympic class ships’ fourth funnels were not completely for decoration. Although they were not located above a boiler room for exhaust, they were placed aft of the third funnel to accommodate areas that required some sort of light ventilation like the kitchen and things of that sort.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
By 1929, I think Olympic had been converted to run on oil or diesel instead of coal, and her 4 funnel might have been used to help vent fumes from the engines.

A

Aaron_2016

The footage is titled 'outtakes'. I wonder what happened to the pieces that were used. At 2:05 you can see that her whistle was blowing and you can just hear the tail end of it with a tiny wisp of white steam coming out of her forward whistle at 2:05.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>By 1929, I think Olympic had been converted to run on oil or diesel instead of coal, and her 4 funnel might have been used to help vent fumes from the engines.<<

Not really. The change in the fuel only effected WHAT fired the boilers. How the effluent was exhausted was unaltered. There was no reason to change it.

The fuel the ship would have run on would have been the heavy marine oil of the day.

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Lota
>>By 1929, I think Olympic had been converted to run on oil or diesel instead of coal, and her 4 funnel might have been used to help vent fumes from the engines.<<

Not really. The change in the fuel only effected WHAT fired the boilers. How the effluent was exhausted was unaltered. There was no reason to change it.

The fuel the ship would have run on would have been the heavy marine oil of the day.
Lots of stokers would have been out of a job. I imagine it wouldn't have been a popular conversion. The lucky few that stayed on would have had a much easier time of it though.

codad1946

Apr 28, 2016
Malaysia and Philippines
By 1929, I think Olympic had been converted to run on oil or diesel instead of coal, and her 4 funnel might have been used to help vent fumes from the engines.
There were very few fumes from a steam recip engineroom, but the ventilation did go up the 4th funnel, along with the galley smoke. There's bound to be a chef burning something on a daily basis!
From the attached clip (courtesy of Bruce Beveridge) you can see that the main ventilation is from the turbine engineroom, though the exhaust from the reciprocating engine room probably went the same way, though without any smoke. All the galleys are around the uptake, so any smoke would have been from them.

4th funnel.jpg